Waffle cone

I bought a Toybox 3d printer for my 4 & 6 year old. My 4 year old wants to make an ice cream cone. I for the life of me can’t figure out how to model the waffle squares on the cone shape. How would you guys tackle it? Thanks!

hello, would this be close enough for you ? Only took me a few minutes, I can explain you how to, if it suits you. (I am aware it’s far from perfect, as the cone should be a rolled piece of waffle)

It is actually a really complex shape, if you want the proper rolled waffle, best I could quickly manage with a bit of faking by rotating a copy.

1 Like

Thanks Paul! That’s actually exactly what I need.

That’s really cool! Did you model it as a flat piece and then bend it?

Yes I did a disk of squares then used Thomthoms True bend, then a bit of scale to get the squares back.
You could make a couple and slice and splice to make them wrap. but this is about as far as I’m managing with the amount I have had to drink this year already.
Cone

2 Likes

alright, here is how I made it :

• make a cone with a base circle of 24 segments (or so)

• Slice it horizontally with planes at equal spacement by intersecting

• Select everything and unsmooth so that you ‘reveal’ every face of the cone (created by the base circle segment & previous slicing

• select all but the base

• run plugin like https://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=s4u_Offset with desired offset distance (or equivalent)

• smooth again so that you can easily select everything but the squares

• joint pull it (fredo6’s plugin)