VS Dotted Line extension

Sorry to bother you.

As I’m using Sketchup Pro 2017 for Mac now, could you tell me the path to the plugin folder ?
I don’t see any library for it to install the plugin.

FredM

Greetings!

The default plugin directory on the Mac is here: ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/. Just click Go / Go to Folder… in the top menu of Finder and paste this path in appeared window.

Actually, you can install the plugin using SketchUp’s standart plugin installer. Download here the lastest version of the plugin, open Window / Extension Manager in SketchUp, click Install Extension and select downloaded file.

Can one use your wonderful VS Dotted Line extension on a curved line?

You should try it. Easy enough to answer the question for yourself.

It doesn’t seem to work on a curved line (which seems to be composed of separate straight line segments).

So, I deleted every other segment of the “curved line” and got the same basic effect (just don’t look too closely at the length of the lines and the spaces in between).

It works for me. Here an arc and a Bezier curve.

They’ve always been composed of short lines. You write that like you are brand new to SketchUp.

That’s another way to do it. There’s a dashed line plugin at Smustard.com that does that but hides alternate segments.

What are you modeling? Why not use the dashes feature in SketchUp or add them in LayOut?

Compared to you, I’m new. You have 15 years, I have only 10.

A road. I want to make the dashed lane lines in the middle of a road.

Where is the dashes feature in SketchUp?

Still plenty of time to know that curves are represented by straight line segments.

There are probably better ways to do that. A texture and Fredo6’s Thrupoint comes to mind.

It’s part of the Layers (now called Tags) feature. Make a group or component containing the edges you want to show as dashed, give it a layer/tag, give the layer/tag a dashes style in the Layers/Tags panel.

Pretty close to what I need to do, but doesn’t seem to go all the way around.
Dashed Lines for the middle of a road.skp (5.9 MB)

If simple single edges for the centerline will work for you, they look pretty good.

Remember that edges should never get a layer/tag. Only the groups and components in ther model should get layers/tags. The curves and one of the straight sections are loose geometry with the layer assigned to them.

Seems to me that a texture would be a better way to handle this. How are you using the model once you have it completed?