Vertical Dimensions Being Cut Off

When placing dimensions, any dimension that is vertical, the top of the text gets cut off. This only seems to happen when the text is read from bottom to top. I’ve tried changing the anchor position to the top, bottom and center, but get the same results no matter the anchor position. The alignment does however work when changing from left, right and center. As you can see in the attached picture, the horizontal text is o.k. and when the text is read from top to bottom it o.k., only when reading from bottom to top (which is how most of the vertical text reads) is the top cut off.

After working more with the dimensions, I’ve discovered that as I’m working with something that is not within the “paper” boundaries, the dimension’s text gets moved off center. If I’m drawing dimensions on an object that is to the left of the “paper” then I lose the top of the text, if I’m to the right of the “paper” then I lose the bottom of the dimensions. As I move the dimension on to the “paper” the text becomes correct, the further away you move the dimension from the “paper” the more the text gets cut off. Moving the text to the top or bottom of the “paper” doesn’t have as much of the same affect, but the text does move off center as you move it further away.

Well, thought I had it figured out, but now I’m in the “paper” boundaries and the text on the dimension that reads top to bottom is now having the top cut off. I moved the text to the far left of the “paper” area and the text is fine. Anyone have a clue? Is there a base point of some sort that is affecting the text?

Temp%202

What happens if you use a different font?

What font is that?

After your suggestion, I tried several different fonts, none of them had
the top cut off as with Flux Architect font. It seems as though the text
is default anchored to the top of the text box on the dimension line, I can
align it left, right or center, but I can’t adjust the anchor position. If
it were anchored to the center I don’t think there would be an issue, or if
there were a way to manipulate the text box to resize it the way you can
when just typing notes.

Flux Architect

That’s what I thought. That font is not well made and has a number of issues. I would recommend that you use a different font.

It is not the first time someone reports here a problem with the Flux Architect font. Its main advantage seems to be that it is free. It is perhaps worth the price? Designing fonts is rather tedious, and for a hobbyist things can go somewhat wrong (I have dabbled in font design, too, and I wouldn’t guarantee the integrity of my creations).

1 Like

Thanks for the response Dave, I’ll have to do some searching to see what
else is out there. It’s too bad the font is not well made, for those of us
who come from the pencil and vellum days, the font does look good and is a
good representation of our (old school I guess) architectural style of
lettering.

Yeah. It does look like a pretty good reproduction of the old hand drawn fonts. Unfortunately the author didn’t set up the padding and spacing correctly to make it a good font. You could get a font editor and make the adjustments.

Hello Anssi, I’ve wondered about creating my own font as well, but haven’t
even begun to research the possibilities. I wouldn’t be opposed to
purchasing a quality font if I felt it had the right “look” for me, I’ll
have to start searching the google machine and see what I come up with.

I think Tekton is the classic “hand-written” “architect” font, most others seem to be its clones.

One of my clients has specified Tekton Pro for some of their projects. It works well and I have no problems with spacing or padding in LO with it.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.