VCB math and additional values

I know this was brought up couple times, but I think it has so much potential.

• Ability input additional values into VCB.

For example, I move an object to a distance which I have referenced with mouse (click to click) then type “+100mm” to trigger 100mm moved further in same direction to the initial move.

• Simple math in VCB

I know adding equation function into VCB can be tricky, but upon some testing, SketchUp does division well, then cannot do any multiplication? Input of “1000/2” works, but “500*2” doesn’t in Line tool.

I often work in Revit as well, and it takes simple math by inputting with “=” sign in front. “=1447+4” or “45*72”

I think this is something that can be very useful.

2 Likes

I agree that some simple maths functions would be useful in VCB.

Not sure your example of moving an additional 100mm is a good one though. If you use the mouse to move in a particular direction and then type 100, it will be moved 100 units in that direction. Isn’t that already pretty simple and intuitive?

Yes, what you describe is correct and it is indeed intuitive.

But what I am describing is “additional distance”
When “+377” is typed, the result that I would like is the sum of (initial distance+377).

I suggest this because you can be moving distance by referencing to other objects. The referenced distance can be not a rounded up value (with ~ sign) which makes it impossible to type. Or perhaps something complicated such as 2 5/32" +3/4.

I suppose if VCB takes some simple math, then additional distance can be somewhat addressed.
It is just strange it takes division, but no multiplication.

Well, it kinda does take multiplication, when you are move/copying, for example. That’s the standard way of creating repeats with a standard offset. You move the first offset and then type *x for the number of repeats (which, slightly confusingly, has to include the one you’ve just made).

but that is repeats as you have said. Then now I have to remove the ones in between.
And this command only applies to copied object. What if I am trying to move, push-pull, draw lines, rotate, offset.

Maybe it would help to think of the number of spaces between copies instead. :wink:

Actually, it is the number of copies. Think about printing copies of a document on a copier. What number do you enter if you want a total of ten copies of the document including the original that’s laying on the glass? :smiley:

I do know what you mean, though.

Yeah, don’t forget the one laying on the glass. That is your copy as well!

I do agree that is slightly confusing however :smiley:

Confusing?
You do an operation by creating a copy of the original. The operation not terminated unless you hit [Esc] or pick another tool. Else SketchUp is waiting for you to tell how many copies you intend to get.
Type 1* and you’ll get one as you started with. Type 7* and you’ll get 7.
(still during the operation) Type /1 and again you’ll get one. Or type /3 and you get three copies in total.

Nah, I will take that back.
Its not really confusing. Its number of copies. :smiley:

That’s because SketchUp accepts fractions for input, and “1000/2” is taken as such not as an arithmetic expression (a subtle point, since the end result in this case is the same, though not in “1 3/4”).

Ah, I see.
Now I understand the difference in SketchUp’s point of view.
Thanks for the explanation @slbaumgartner!

I’ve asked for this before too; simple functions of +,-,*,/ and () entered into the command line.

I would also like the ability to move the #initial# insertion point (and/or mouse cursor) by typing in a value; if I hover over point to get an inference point, then move the mouse to get an inference guideline, I want to type in “100[return]” and have the insertion point move 100 down that line and the [return] act like a click to place the start point.

(Currently I click on the first point and then actually draw a line to use as a reference, only to delete it again once it’s served it’s purpose. If the line cuts other geometry I either have to use a guideline or delete multiple lines.)

1 Like

Thank you.

I think @gadget2020’s talking about the same thing I have said. But explained better :smiley:

not quite; I’d also like to be able to type in “+100[return]” and have the [return] act like a click:

If I currently start drawing a line and type in “100[return]200[return]300[return]” without moving the mouse I will get a single 300 length line. I like the way it currently works more often than I dislike it.
I want to type in “+100[return]+200[return]+300[return]” and end up with three lines totaling 600.
Or “100[return]200[return]+300[return]” and end up with two lines totaling 500.

1 Like

Ah!

Now I get it. I would like this as well.

Thanks for the explanation.