Validity Check Errors

stl
export
validitycheck

I have made a model for an animatronic skull. I started with a fairly realistic actual size model of a human skull. I sliced it info two parts and kept the mandible separate. Then I reshaped the inside and made some minor adjustments to the outside so that everything I need to put inside it would fit. I changed the eye sockets, added screw holes and tabs that keep the two parts aligned and hold them together and other changes here and there. I have gone through many revisions saving each one as an stl file and 3D printing it to test them and see if I need further revisions. It has all been working fine until my latest revision. I wasn’t doing anything new, just tweaking the inside a bit getting rid of extra material left over from the anatomically correct interior that was getting in the way of some of the mechanisms I have on the inside. Same kind of stuff I’d been doing all along. This time when I tried to save it, I got a Validity Check error. I will copy and paste the entire error message here. I have no idea what it means or what I have to do to fix it. I hope someone can help me figure it out.

SketchUp STL Exporter:
An error occured during export.

undefined method -' for nil:NilClass C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:222:inget_vertex_order’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:123:in write_face_binary' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:98:incall’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:98:in write_face' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:76:inblock in find_faces’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:in each' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:73:infind_faces’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:68:in export' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:337:inblock in do_options’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:82:in call' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:82:inblock in trigger_event’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:78:in each' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb:78:intrigger_event’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:357:in event_control_callback' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:311:incallback_handler’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:269:in block in add_callback' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:203:incall’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:203:in show_modal' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb:203:inshow’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:358:in do_options' C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:371:inmain’
C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb:391:in block in <module:Exporter>' SketchUp:1:incall’

That was the whole message. I have successfully saved other stl files before and since this one, so the problem is something specific to this particular file. I am happy to share the file with the group if it will help.

Also, I got the error and tried some cleanup tools called CleanUp3 from the extension Warehouse. I applied most of them, but didn’t run the entire Clean program as it said it would take over 777 hours to complete.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.