Using Groups and Components in modeling

Yeah you could. Not very easy in beginning learning.

You could easily heal your board where you made the groove. you just have to add back the edge that completes the face of the board before or after deleting your groove edges. You can also move the groove edges along the board, you know.

I can’t resist the challenge. I’ll copy the board and work on it tomorrow…

Has anyone thought of using SketchUp to do origami?

OK… as long as you’ve done everything for your wife’s birthday!

1. Create the component on a face (not on a closed group or component).
  2. Make your component with a rectangle drawn on the face: easiest way to get the right cutting and glue arrangement.
    3.Look for the axis indicator with the blue “X” and gray rectangle that shows the cutting component will be glued to the face. Otherwise you may have to “Set Component Axes” to get the proper orientation.

Diane greatly appreciated your reply!
After spending a couple hours trying to solve the problem myself, I decided to take your approach. Pretty much, how you routed the first channel was what I’d done before, but when you suggested using Set Component Axis (p. 710 in User Guide), I wasn’t able to find it at all on the SketchUp interface.

The way I did it was one the easiest ways because you don’t have to set the axes. That’s only if they don’t end up aligned to the face that you intend to cut, or whenever they are not showing where you’d like them to be. So if you’ve done that before, NP. All I did was make move/duplicate for the second one.

“Set component axes” is a button in the Make Component dialog. You will see it in the movie I made. I didn’t have to use it. Also “Change Axes” in the contextual menu when you choose a component is the same operation.

So I decide to copy the group obj w the groove, paste it, select (group)/edit group, select copied object…turn to my tape measure and realize I can’t use it to create inference lines (what’s doing anything in SU without inference lines and points). Three SU-tape measure YouTubes later I still haven’t found out how to make those inference lines show up, and stay in place.

You mean Guidelines? (inferences are the alignments indicated by colored lines and circles that pop up whiie you draw). If you want guidelines. Make sure the Style you are using has the “Guides” box ticked under: (“Styles” window) / Edit/ “Modeling” tab (the last tab on the right)–or they won’t show. If you want to keep the style showing Guides, you then have to Update the style. A Guideline is what I have already in the component when I start my Movie, because I wanted to know where to make the groove.

You can also just turn on (check) “Guides” in the View Menu, but remember that this might be overridden by a Style, say if you go to a Scene that has a certain style.

Yes I mean guidelines. The only place I find “Style” mentioned is image under the View menu; also Styles in the Default Tray, but nothing I’ve found yet that is a Dialog Box with Tabs. Also nothing in Internet search except the styles I have up in my toolbar (wireframe, etc.)

I call it the Styles window-- same as you have in the tray, and it has an edit button, for changing things in the selected style. When you press edit you have a series of TABS

I guess it’s called a Styles “browser”. It’s listed in the “Window” menu on Macs.

I looked in SketchUp help but it’s not that easy to find things there… to show what it looks like On a PC but couldn’t find it… Heres what the Styles window looks like on a Mac under the Edit setting with its tabs (the cute little cube things)

I think you mean this image but there’s no button leading to the Dialog you picture. In How to use Styles in Sketchup - YouTube the guy brings up a Styles dialog by going directly under Window image , but my Window seems different image

It’s in your default Tray. Like you said. The guy in the video must have a Mac.

Holy Mackerel! image There it is! My drawing has hundreds of guidelines!!

Whew, I got rid of the guidelines. Most of them seemed free-range, some were only available for deletion by way of hiliting groups.
Rather than bother with grooves and standards, I’m going straight to the shelves. I draw a rectangle (intent on extruding and conponentizing the first shelf). I want the rectangle to be exact, the width of the member my rectangle is snapping to, and I know it needs to be 3/4" thick, but the dimensions I’m seeing are all approximate (and absurd!). I see why (but not really why) I am snapping the rectangle to where two boards are meeting, not to a single board.

So just to prove my point I go to where the other shelves are needed. This time I get much more accurate measurements. But they’re still approximations! I know the shelf needs to be 3/4" exactly but ~13 3/8" (+/- < 1/16") isn’t exact.image I was hoping I could accept the snap width and just keyboard in the 3/4" but that doesn’t seem possible and I still don’t know the exact dimension of the board! image nor the board from which it was copied.
Seems I need to redo all the verticals?

Seems there’s a way to get the dimensions (but it’s a lot of work–but at least I can put in the shelves, I think) .Is this the easiest way to do it? image

All you should be doing is drawing the top/bottom face of the shelf first. Then you can push/pull it 3/4".

OR, you can draw the front of the shelf between the left/right walls, and then push/pull it back the depth of the cabinet.

Either method is accurate if you use inferencing (snapping) correctly. If you aren’t getting accurate measurements in your model itself, it’s entirely because you modeled it like that. There really is no reason not to have a perfectly accurate model, especially if your first shapes are typed in accurately.

Are you, by any chance, just dragging rectangles and hoping you get accurate dimensions instead of typing them in? Are you using endpoints and existing lines/guides as starting points for your drawing and movements?

No, no, it’s all about snapping to endpoints, edges, and guidelines.

I can’t seem to get the Alt/Move to copy components–am relying on copy paste.

And am having to component all the component shelves in order to extrude them all at the same time.

Modeled to specific dimensions. Watch the dimensions being typed in the VCB lower right.

1 Like

Oh, so you don’t need to just make it a component (and name it), you need to instruct the component to replace the selection!?

I am doing a lot of making components into a component group (“a component/component”).
And just had to make a component into a group to extend it 3"! leaving me with this line between what turns out to be two separate entities

Is there a way to merge the two components to get rid of that line (can’t erase it, can’t select and delete it).

Is this the time to explode it?

“Cut” one (as in copy, cut, paste commands) and open the other component. Paste the first one in , with “PASTE IN PLACE”, then explode it.

(EDIT) But it does sound like you are doing this with needless extra steps. Easy to extend the geometry in a component 3" without all that.

When you make a component you have to look at the box down at the bottom and see if it is checked. Sometimes it will not be- especially if it the entities are connected to other raw geometry. If you do NOT have it checked, the component will be saved in the component browser, but it will not replace the original selection of objects.