Use DWG For Reference, But Not Snap To It

I imported a dwg floor plan for reference. I edited the component and scaled it. I moved the dwg origin point to the xy drawing orign and locked it, so as not to accidentally move it. But the geometry that I create, snaps to the dwg entities. How can I prevent this and still use the dwg for reference?

Thanks for your help …

One simple way is to swap the dwg for an image,
You can output a 2d image and bring it back in, or even just a screenshot.

Thanks. I exported as an image (pdf), but when I imported it, the quality of the lines were low resolution, not suitable for precise reference.

Move the .dwg a few feet below the groundplane and hold shift or use arrow keys for inferencing.

1 Like

I sort of don’t understand. If the DWG was accurately drawn, the most precise reference is to be got by snapping on the found points. If it isn’t, a raster image ought to be quite enough as the accuracy must be created by you when you model it in SketchUp.

1 Like

I always prefer the image approach. Takes a little more time in some aspects, but a lot less time in many, and in the end it results in a better and more accurate sketchup model.

In DWG files a lot of lines are not actually perpendicular and that ruins sketchup workflow. Fixing a model like that displays those issues is almost impossible.

Go for image, try jpg or png instead of pdf.

This approach worked best in my work flow. The distance to move the reference is arbitrary, but in my case, an inch was sufficient to create a separation that was effective with inferencing.

In my modeling environment, working with imported dwg files is integral to my work flow. I primarily use these files for reference, which saves significant time. For those of us who use parametric based extensions (Profile Builder, PlusSpec, MODELLUR, Medeek etc.), connecting geometry is required to establish extension functionality. In this video (extreme magnification) the inappropriate snap points are highlighted. It is extremely difficult to snap to the bottom plate and not the dwg in this example. If the dwg is selected by mistake, the extension’s components do not function. Hope this helps in understanding the issue. The second image highlights the result of snapping to the dwg, which in this case caused the extension to perform incorrectly.

snap1

Can you elaborate for this isn’t working for me. Unless I move a transparent painted large face in between. Only then the ‘Line’ tool cursor keeps being ‘On (transparent) Face’ while the imported dwg can be referenced.

You don’t need to be in top view or need a face per se.
Better have the camera in a more convenient position.