Urgent help needed! Cannot connect Lines that are on the same plane

I suspect this is the root of your problem.

I thought it may have something to do with it, but assumed once it was on the correct plane that it wouldn’t or shouldn’t matter?

Just a thought, and to digress slightly, but wouldn’t it be better to leave the imported units as Components? Then, if there is a change to a unit, the unit can be modified as required and then the Masterplan can just be updated by reloading the unit.

Mike

1 Like

This just seems to be a link to Dropbox. I don’t see a file.

I know mate, I don’t know how to ‘share’ a dropbox folder (other than to an email address etc)
I ended up starting it again yesterday from scratch. So I will remove this topic. Funnily enough even when drawing on the new site plan, I had to add a curve for a garden bed and it instantly threw dark lines across the plain (only in random areas) which was the initial issue. Thankfully I undid the ‘curve’ and got around it. I guess it’s a problem that will still persist for me whilst using sketchup. As mentioned normally it’s okay, but this job is larger than normal - oh well

IDK if you have solved the problem already.
i agree with previous poster that the 3D “units” should stay components where possible.
But, regarding the site base issue, I know what you’re talking about. I develop very large site plans for large schools and things can get wonky even when you are rigorous about using locked axes and so forth. Sometimes certain zones will just refuse to close or subdivide properly. My first go-to is the extension called “Make Faces”. Sometimes this works OK. Sometimes it makes ADDED faces. Sometimes it doesn’t work. As you have indicated, adding more lines to divide the area sometimes works. It’s as if SU can’t calculate complex shapes especially with “curves” involved. If you “help it” by manually subdividing, this can work. But…this can also create ADDED faces on top of the original ones. At this point things get very frustrating

The real solution is to take your whole site plan and drop it to 2D/Z-plane. However, this will remove all your faces and you’ll have to run Make Faces and start all over. Sometimes I will STILL run into issues with making some areas skin over,

So what I ave come to do is isolate the problem area. Rather than involving the whole site plan “plane”, which may be 95% OK, select the problem area. Divide it with lines from the rest of the site plan and select. Then group that. Now go into that group and flatten to 2D…run Make Faces. Typically this works well. Then make sure that the group is exactly on the same z as the rest of the site plan, and explode it. Or not! If certain areas of the site plan are resolved, why not let them be separate groups? Easier to work on smaller sections.

Last tip, always make your own backups by using “File/Save a Copy As” and stash those “saves” in a folder for your job, with the date and time as part of the filename. Worst case scenario, you can go back to a version where things were not so problematic, get the site plan from there, and bring it back into your drawing. This is an awesome backup plan when you accidentally erase something but don’t discover it until five days later!

Thanks for the reply. I ended up making each unit/townhouse a component, then bought those into the new site plan on a flat plane - then ‘traced’ around each of the houses on the siteplan. It was double handling at it’s best which was time consuming but at least I could hide all the units and work on the siteplan for paths/gardens/walkways/driveways etc etc. and when I did run into the ‘dark line’ or unjoined face I could tray and fix it then and there. I still don’t understand why it happens, and what makes it strange is that you can be working on one side of the plane/site and throw a curve in and it wont join but it will have a knock on effect across the whole plan - throwing other seemingly random faces out as well. At least if you’re only working on a 2D plane it’s easier to track (as if the units were in place sometimes you don’t notice until far too late. So to answer your initial question, no I have no idea why it works the way it does - even when being pedantic about staying on axis and snapping to points.
I’ve just done another job (nearly identical) and didn’t have the issue - it seems to be just random! Thanks again for your reply! Cheers, Nick

In future try using Drape from the sandbox tools to save you tracing around the components.
Or use Intersect faces with on a plane the cuts through all your components.
Or use a section plane and create a group from slice.

Here’s a very simple example of drape. You can see that the shapes are all groups or components and I have exaggerated the different heights. You can drape them all together. I used triple click shift double click to delete the internal details, then make faces shortcut to fill them in again.
Drape01

3 Likes

Thanks so much for that - it certainly would have saved me some time, Much appreciated!
Cheers,
Nick