Upgrading to 2020 version, requires accelerated graphics card. Am I now required to purchase a new laptop?

It is starting to look like you need an excuse for a new laptop. This is it. Get one with an Nvidia graphics card to utillize the engine inside Sketchup. If you do remove the Sketchup license in the old machine prior to installing 2818 on the new one. Note I will not guarantee this will fix everything. Other factors also come into play here, amount of system memory and graphics memory are important. Processor speed is more geared to rendering but at least 3GHz is nice to have.

Try a right-click on something, and see if that selects immediately, compared to a left-click.

There was an issue at some point where left-click select would take a long time. I’ll try to find out what the solution was.

See if this old post helps. It’s SketchUp 2018 specific, and I would have thought that either Windows or a later 2018 update would have help, but still worth a read:

Thanks so much. I did exactly what you suggested, and there are 2 options for multisample anti-aliasing, 0x and 4x. Mine was set to 4x. I tried to select the Use fast feedback option and when the anti-aliasing was set to 4x, and error occurred and automatically cleared the option. I then changed the anit-aliasing value to 0x, and reseleted the Use fast feedback option and it worked!!! There is no more delay with my selection tool. This only worked with 2018 version which I’m currently using.

I tried to start up the 2020 version, and the graphic card error reappeared. So for now, I’m satisfied with the 2018 version which has worked seemlessly over the past several years. If someone can come up with a valid reason why I should upgrade to 2020 knowing that my graphics card is giving me fits, I’ll certainly look into it.

For now, the select tool response has been resolved. Thanks so much for all your assistance.

Scott.