Upcoming Change to Add Location

That was a good thing to mention. Yes, I really hope SU are looking into the opportunity of making SU work together with Open Street Map in some way. It would really serve the interests of both SketchUp and OSM users.

2 Likes

The DigitalGlobe image also seems to be an older image (not as up to date as the Google image).

2 Likes

Ugh! Pretty nasty warping from treating a picture taken at a slant as if it was vertical!

2 Likes

A good workaround to get detailed images is to use “Google Earth Pro” (it is free) and then export images at max resolution from that program. They even have historic map layers in some places. After I import it to SU (Use as image) the scale should be right. …But if not I would have used the free “Unique Scale Tool” extension by RubySketch.

1 Like

Of course aerial imagery can be placed into SketchUp “manually” but what we are lamenting here is that a fairly well functioning geolocation feature will be crippled.and something we expected to be developing is going to be taken back to “square one”.

Anssi

6 Likes

I think the folks working at SketchUp will figure out some better way for this stuff eventually. Meanwhile we have to do with workarounds. I am optimistic.

Is it possible to give us two more automatic layers in addition to “Location Snapshot” & “Location Terrain”? Named something like “Trimble Map 2D” &“Trimble Map 3D”. It would be useful to be able to import all the relevant map data into my model at once in some instances. It would save me a bit time if this was possible.

1 Like

SketchUp folks - this might be of interest:

http://radiant.earth

Hi,

Thanks for this information. I have a question that i don’t see anywhere in the forums. With the change to DigitalGlobe, will there be a way to see the date on which any given satellite image was taken?

For some context:

I use sketchup specifically to model shadows at real-world locations. I work for a solar energy company and sketchup has provided a fantastic way to check sites for shading conflicts (who knew, solar panels need sun!) without having to actually visit the site. I can do all this from my desk.

I currently use Sketchup geo-location (which uses google maps) in conjunction with Google Earth Pro to get two pieces of information: 1) satellite image of the physical site ; and 2) the date that the satellite image was taken. It’s this second piece of information that allows me to match up the 3D modeled shadows with the 2D shadows shown in the satellite image. This allows me to have some level of accuracy in the shadow modeling. I currently get the date stamp from Google Earth Pro.

With the change to DigitalGlobe, will it be possible for me to access a “date stamp” for the satellite imagery? How would i go about doing this? Will it be visible through the Sketchup software or will i have to try and get that information from DigitalGlobe?

The date stamp is a very important piece of this process for me. Any thoughts on how i can access that information would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Reid

1 Like

Ugh! This is a disaster for me. The new imagery is extremely poor quality in this area, with NO imagery at the highest zoom level, and I live in a populated area. I used the aerial imagery extensively in my business, and now I am afraid I am going to have to revert to importing and scaling map imagery. This will take much longer, adding about 30 minutes per day to my workflow. This is almost a deal breaker, and very disappointing for a longtime Pro user and advocate for Sketchup.

Someone PLEASE write I plugin to use better map imagery. I would gladly pay.

6 Likes

Edit: This reply was supposed to be in response to @kiwi above regarding using Google Earth.

Yeah, I tried this and the scaling does not come in correctly. Of course the image can be re-scaled, but you need a way to accurately determine the scale. You can export the Earth drawing with scale, blow it way up, and then shrink it back down using the measuring tape to scale it, but it’s not an accurate or practical solution.

Does anyone have any idea on how to export/import while preserving a proper scale using this method?

2 Likes

I think PlaceMaker still works.

Hi As this is a significant reduction in the functionality how do I get a discount for my annual fee ?

5 Likes

not good enough as this is a significant reduction in functionality and I pay an annual fee for updates give me some money back

1 Like

Perhaps you should contact Google for a refund since it is Google, not Trimble that is discontinuing the service.

I think you’ve made your point 5 times now.
This is between you and Trimble. Contact them directly:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact/customer-service

EDIT: It seems I was too terse, and misunderstood.
(The first line was meant to be sarcastic with reference to thread flooding.)

Sorry, …
Please see a more detailed explanation, especially with regard to the second line, in another post below:

1 Like

The About page for this forum says this is “A place to share SketchUp experiences, ask questions and fix problems.” I think there are a lot of upset users that are sharing their experiences, asking questions, and hopefully we can fix the problem, either by Trimble providing an option (whether paid or free) or via a community or third party workaround that isn’t too cumbersome. I don’t think this is between any one user and Trimble. This is a community issue and Trimble needs to hear the frustration from the community in forums like this. Sometimes that takes some repetition. While we should keep things civil, the impact on people and businesses is real, and I empathize with users like @projectmanager who are clearly negatively impacted and upset.

1 Like

I could imagine, that the available resolution depends on the service quality ordered/paied by Trimble… sothat an optional high-res quality might be available as a commercial upgrade?

DG claims at least to “offer the highest quality satellite imagery in the industry” down to a resolution of 25 cm (WorldView-3 sat).

Trimble should maybe acquire additional satellite imagery sevices from e.g. Planet Labs (formerly Google Terra Bella).

1 Like

@JasonSzumlanski, you misunderstood what I said.

I did not say this wasn’t a valid issue, nor that all users do not have a right to express their opinions.

By different members is okay. What @projectmanager did above is flooding.
I will bet that there is no forum in existence that allows flooding.
Scroll back up and you’ll see that the community has suppressed at least 3 of his flood posts.
( FYI, FAQ - SketchUp Community )

I did not mean the ISSUE. I meant the specific user’s demand for a refund.

There is no one here (including @jody) who can initiate a refund process.

The SketchUp EULA is quite clear that the agreement is between the specific user and Trimble.
We (here reading the thread) are not part of the relationship between them. (Each license holder enjoys a separate legal relationship from all others.)

So the license holder (@projectmanager) is the only one who can call Customer Service and open a service ticket and have their license revoked and some amount of their money refunded.

Yes, but mostly technical support personnel, when they have the time. (The forum is not meant to be the official support for Pro edition license holders. It is mainly for community support for the free Make editions, and a place for users of all kinds to share their knowledge, techniques, tips, tricks, etc.)

Pro support is done through the Customer Service portal, which again, is here:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact/customer-service
Pro technical support through this portal:
https://help.sketchup.com/en/contact/technical-support

So making a specific customer service demand in the public forum is frivolous.*

Do so multiple times one after the other, in the same forum topic thread, is flooding.

* It happens quite often in these forums with licensing issues, and each time it does, someone (a Sage, a SketchUp Team member, a Developer, someone,) has to point them to the Customer Service portal.
Do a forum search on “license” and you’ll see what I say is true, and that my advice above (to contact Customer Service) is a normal response.

2 Likes

It’s not being taken away by Trimble. It’s being taken away by Google. How come no one is complaining to Google about this?

3 Likes