Upcoming Change to Add Location

Interesting process. I was going to suggest you read Google’s TOS but Barry beat me to it.

1 Like

You can turn on scale - View->Scale Legend to be more precise, and as you notice what Google suggests: File->Save->Save Image so that proper attribution is given. And I’m not OK’ing or poo pooing this process as a Trimble employee, merely commenting.

2 Likes

I was shocked at the low quality of the satellite images! Unusable for small scale projects. I hope this is upgraded in SU 2018! Should be a priority.

1 Like

Since the imagery is coming from Digital Globe, the version of SketchUp won’t matter.

Hey peeps. Read your 385 posts and though I would chime in with a solution.

Would anyone here be interested in this extension I wrote? It’s a one-click fix to this problem. First, use the native File > Geo-location > Add Location command to geo-locate your model and set the coverage area you want. Then, use my extension to convert to a Google image like this:

toggle-google-location-final

The Google image automatically comes in at the correct location and scale. It’s functionally equivalent to the Google Earth Pro export/import solutions described above but without all those tedious steps. You can even set a custom keyboard shortcut for a more efficient workflow.

Tested on Windows and Mac, SketchUp Make 2017, SketchUp Pro 2017 and 2018 English language versions.

I’m looking for a few beta testers. If you know how to install an RBZ file, please verify that your profile is showing your current OS and SketchUp versions and then PM me.

Enhance!

2 Likes

Make sure you and your users aren’t violating Google’s terms of service regarding the usage of their imagery.

1 Like

if you read this thread carefully, you will learn that the change in imagery was not because of technical but because of legal and licensing reasons. You should check with Google if they will allow you to do what they denied Trimble.

1 Like

I would love to be a beta tester.

the main one is keeping the Google credits, which the demo does…

but i believe it should also add the mesh credits to appease DigitalGlode as well…

@TheOnceAndFutureLurker you are liable if your extension doesn’t add credits, but the user is if they later remove them…

PM me a link or the .rbz and I may find time to test it…

john

I was forced to upgrade to v2017 because i need geolocation for work. BUT this is the quality that is acceptable? Ironically still have to use GEPro for ground plane images. This is a total joke!!

1 Like

I’d like to beta test too! Windows 7 SU pro 2017 / 2018

Looks familiar, doesn’t it? Can someone Trimble explain how this is possible but not for them: https://www.turbocad.com/turbocad-windows/plugins/google-maps-plug-in-for-turbocad.html Google Map plugin to TurboCAD - YouTube … Indeed, this looks to me a lot like what we had and are asking back. Come on Trimble, can you try harder, PLEASE! Or can you elaborate?

1 Like

This is a massive reduction in functionality. The new map / satellite layers are virtually useless. The level of detail in Google Earth is hugely superior. Very, very disappointing.

2 Likes

Yes. I agree. Too bad Google made the changes they did that resulted in this change. People should complain to Google about this.

3 Likes

Hello! I’d like to beta test your Sketchup extension that fixes the poor resolution when using the geo-locate function.
Many thanks,
Kim

But apparently, TCAD can still use the Google map plugin. So why can they but not Skup?

1 Like

maybe because the have still running agreements not terminated until yet… future will show.

k so having sorted through many of sketchups community blogs on the end of Google geo- location issue…for the past few weeks .I have this to say. Bottom line - Trimble you had five years to figure this out. YOu knew this day was coming for five years!!! YOu made a casual mention of this MAJOR change a month or two away and replaced it with a completely laughable and inferior alternative and then took no responsibility for the disruption this caused for I’m sure millions of users. Shame on you. I don’t know what executive board is running this operation but my God…they should be fired for the disgraceful handling of this. The geo-location imagery now used in your PRO version really really sucks. ??? Really??? Perhaps you all should have spent less time adding useless ‘updates’ and’improvements’ more time figuring out how to make a seamless transition. The way this was rolled out…is quite frankly shocking to me = but also quite reveling…about who Trimble is as a company. They seem to lack a company ethics and they certainly don’t take the millions of people who use their program - free or paid very seriously . Why should they - we are disposable and replaceable. Reminds me of big tabacco…all they have to do is keep plugging the free version to the younger - school age kids who will forget and never know what is missing…one day they turn into zombie paid subscription users and the beat goes on…

3 Likes

How about if you suggest a GLOBAL solution that is better than Digital Globe. Be constructive instead of destructive. So far, no one has been able to come up with a global solution that is better than Digital Globe. You must know of a better solution, though.

1 Like

Criticism from your user base is constructive. I’m not here to figure out what Trimble should be doing.

2 Likes