Upcoming Change to Add Location

It’s a long thread to read now. Easily missed.

We need to hope that DG can find sources for that data so they can supply it.

With you Steve!

I’ve moved on to blender-GIS plugin and Blender.

I came back to see if anyone left any other suggestions for precise sketchup geolocation techniques. (appears not!)

Furthermore – to work with raster georefs check out this tutorial on creating them.
http://www.qgistutorials.com/en/docs/georeferencing_basics.html

Instant BUY. Perfect!

Wish the images were a bit higher quality, but this will do for now. Is it possible to apply your own GoogleMaps token to the plugin?

How can you remove functionality from a product I have paid for.
I do not like I have to upgrade to Sketchup 17 to get back this functionality I often use.
Can you justify this.
You force us this way to constantly upgrade. It’s very resourceful to upgrade Sketchup with all extras and extensions.

3 Likes

You need to read through this thread. This has been explained multiple times here. There’s no point repeating it.

This limit is not new and is affected by many system engineering issues mainly the launch vehicle and launch site location I posted above;
The sat resolution is control by governments and the IKONIS series I also posted info.above. The US has recently lowered there spec and some of the payloads that can be integrated on existing Bus design should result a short turn around time span vs the 10 years for a new total system.
I have a different take on this whole issue and think it really fits what TRIMBLE has in the works for their long term business plan;
There are some companies that already have the capability to get the high res data some folks claim they need. SATs will probably not give the cm data some need and either it will be planes, ref post above (company already has ~ 150 planes) and drones will be the next big step.
Additional info DIGITAL globe and geo eye have combined and Digital globe ahs selected Raytheon .
SAN FRANCISCO — DigitalGlobe’s selection of Raytheon Space Systems to manufacture high-resolution imagers for the WorldView Legion constellation shows Raytheon is making headway in its effort to use expertise honed through decades of government work to attract commercial customers.
‘We’re leveraging 45 years of extensive global experience in space imaging to provide DigitalGlobe with an unmatched view of the world from space,” Rick Yuse, Raytheon Space and Airborne Systems president, said in a statement.
Prior to the WorldView Legion contract announced Oct. 10, Raytheon Space Systems worked exclusively under government contracts. In recent years, however, the firm has identified promising commercial activities to pursue as it seeks to diversify its business and gain a foothold in the burgeoning commercial Earth imagery business.
Under the DigitalGlobe contract, Raytheon will build telescopes, detectors and associated electronics, which it will deliver to Space Systems Loral, the WorldView Legion satellite integrator. SSL’s parent company, Maxar Technologies Ltd., formerly known as MacDonald Dettwiler and Associates Ltd., completed its merger with DigitalGlobe Oct. 5.
“DigitalGlobe is proud to select Raytheon to develop the imaging payloads for our next-generation WorldView Legion satellite constellation,” Walter Scott, DigitalGlobe founder, CTO and executive vice president, said in a statement. “We have exceptional confidence in the quality, performance and value of Raytheon’s instrument design, which will give our customers even greater insight into global events of significance and allow them to make critical decisions with confidence for many years to come.”
With the new Raytheon imagers, WorldView Legion satellites will capture twice as much multispectral imagery with 50-centimeter resolution and panchromatic imagery with 30-centimeter resolution as DigitalGlobe currently obtains with its WorldView 3 and WorldView 4 satellites. In addition, DigitalGlobe will use the new Raytheon imagers to observe specific areas on the ground three to four times as often as it can with WorldView 3 and WorldView 4, according to the statement.
DigitalGlobe spokesman Turner Brinton declined to comment on the value of the contract.
DigitalGlobe plans to begin launching an undisclosed number of WorldView Legion satellites in 2020. Once WorldView Legion is operating alongside DigitalGlobe’s existing WorldView satellites and its future Scout small satellite constellation, DigitalGlobe “will be able to image the most rapidly changing areas on …

1 Like

Agree 10000000%. :wink: + replying to keep this dumb thread alive.

Hi, I’m considering purchasing SketchUp Pro. Is there a difference in terrain detail between the Pro and the Make versions? When I go and turn on the terrain layer after using Get Location in Make, how accurate is it?

Thank you,

There is no 3D Terrain option in SketchUp Make so it’s very different.And SketchUp Make is only for non-commercial hobby use.

Add Location’s satellite imagery and terrain is accessible in SketchUp Pro only, SketchUp Make will have access to map information only.

Hi Dave and sketch3d_de - I have an older version of Make that has the capability (apparently) to get terrain to show up. I was just curious if anyone knew if Make’s terrain information was worse/on par with Pro’s. Thank you!

The old version doesn’t have that capability anymore. It did at one time but that went away some months ago.

“that had” is correct.

1 Like

Well that explains it! Thanks!

probably with the 30 day trial of SketchUp Pro.

2 Likes

You just installed the new version of SketchUp? Then you are using the Pro for the 30-day trial period.

2 Likes

• Extension Warehouse : Oob terrain

Suggest you re_read the post.
I have posted several times, I spent good portion of my technical career in over head data collection as well as SIGINT, COMINT and Cyrpto and what I posted I have not seen before and of couse if one does not have the back ground some times you do not know what you are reading.
Also some of what I posted could not have been"above" since it was published just a few days ahead of my post.

Yes! I still use Google Earth imagery by using the Google Earth application.

Open G. Earth, find the location you want to import.
Use the “ruler” tool to draw a long line on the page, somewhere that will not be part of your image needed. Longer is better.
Use a snapshot tool to take a picture of your desktop with the ruler line still on the Google Earth image. I use the “Snipping Tool” that came with Windows.
Save the image somewhere.

Open Sketchup, go to File > import
Find the image to import
After importing the image, click on the tape-measure tool within Sketchup.

Click once at the start of the line you drew
Click once at the end of the line you drew.
BEFORE doing anything else, type in the measurement for the line (should be on Google Earth’s application)
Sketchup will scale the image to the correct size. Voila - high quality imagery

Hope that helps! It’s a bit of work, but I do it now for every project and only takes 1-3 minutes. Only easy solution I have found so far.

Please be sure to read Google’s terms of service, and especially this: Brand Resource Center

3 Likes