Uninstalling Extension Outside of SketchUp?

Hi,

I recently downloaded an extension for SketchUp Make 2017, which lead to SketchUp freezing upon opening. Since I’m 99.9% sure that the extension is causing the problem, all I want to do is uninstall/remove it, but I can’t seem to find a method to do so without having to open the program.
Unfortunately I can’t find a folder that contains all my extensions, otherwise I’d just delete it from there.
Uninstalling and reinstalling SketchUp did not fix it.
Any ideas how I could go about this?

Thanks,
Victoria

Hi @nvictoria ,

You can go to https://extensions.sketchup.com , login , then access to “My Extensions” . There you can view and remove your extensions.

Check this article for more info: Managing Extensions | SketchUp Help

I believe you are asking for system location of the installed extensions.

C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins

Although it is not really recommended to dig through here unless you know what you are doing, do it since it freezes upon opening.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
I tried that, and after removing the suspected extension it still freezes upon opening. I then removed all my extensions to see if that would fix it, but it also didn’t, seems it’s something completely different that coincidentally occurred right after I installed that particular extension.
Is there a way to completely uninstall SketchUp and everything related to it?

Which extension did you install?

You might have an Extension loading at start up that has issues, but without knowing what it is who can tell ?
What was it ?

As was said go to the hidden folder:
C:\Users%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp\Plugins
And move out the likely suspect “xxx.RB” and its subfolder.
Restart SketchUp to see what happens.
Alternatively go up one level in the above tree and rename your Plugins folder as ‘PluginsX’ - as it loads SketchUp will make a new Plugins folder and add in copies of its ShippedExtensions [su_… names].
If SketchUp doesn’t run with all of the other plugins moved then it’s another cause…

There are a number of other potential causes for SketchUp freezing.
Here are a few.
You did not install SketchUp by right-clicking the installer exe file’s icon and choosing ‘Run as administrator…’
You have insufficient RAM available [unlikely]
Your Graphics Card drivers were auto-updated and it is clashing.
Check your GC control-panel and Device-Manager to try rolling-back to the previous driver version.

1 Like

Thank you so much, renaming the folder worked. I had trouble finding that folder because I failed to realise it was a hidden one, but entering the path into Run opened it. Sorry about that.
Thanks again!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 91 days. New replies are no longer allowed.