Unable to cut window openings in wall

I have spent hours trying to do the simple task of cutting an opening in a 6" thick exterior wall to insert a window. I have verified that the wall exists and is not part of the building volume. Using the Rectangle tool I create the opening outline. Then the Push tool to create the opening (hole in the wall plane). The cut opening is not created, only a box recessing into the model. Can anyone tell what I am doing wrong?

Anthony Masciarelli, AIA

Hello. Make sure that you create your rectangle on the face of the wall. I think you grouped your wall and drew the rectangle outside the group. In order for the Pushpull to work, you must make sure that you’re inside the grouped object. If not, then share your model, so we can have a look.

Did you apply this method?

I tried your suggestion, without any success. I would like to send you the file, but I have no idea how to do that.

Use the upload button, seventh from the left at the top of the message window to add your file.

I’m sorry I am so inept…what message window? I tried the “Sketchup Community” window and that is Linkedin.

Yes, I have tried this and still does not cut the opening as per the example.

Go here:

Click Reply. Then click on the upload button.

1 Like

The message window in which you are typing your replies to this thread.
When you hit Reply a window opens for you to type in. Look just above the text for the various icons, 7th from either end is the upload button.

Please upload the file here.

When I attach the file “it will not send?” I tried up loading using the
“Sketchup Community” system.

Needless to say I am a novice at using the system since I seldom
participate, however my problem is such a simple issue that I am really
frustrated as to why I can’t get it to function.

(203) 324-6330
Anthony Masciarelli, AIA
MASCIARELLI ARCHITECTS
77 Glenbrook Road/Suite 105
Stamford, Connecticut 06902

It is surely something very simple. Seeing your model will let us know instantly what it is and help you get it fixed. I’ll send you a PM with e-mail address. You can e-mail the file to me directly.

The windows are opening!

Here is LEMASCI’s file
WM_236.skp (1006.9 KB)

So the reason for your problem is likely that you weren’t opening the wall group for editing before drawing the rectangle and executing Push/Pull.

The top floor is not grouped, so you can drawn an opening rectangle onto it directly, then PushPull that until a hole forms.
That ‘front’ wall is very thick ??
[Tip: set Model Info > Units to NOT snap to a length - otherwise this can mess with some PushPulling…].
The lower floor is a group so you need to select that group then edit it, then you can draw over its face inside the edit, and PushPull etc.
The PushPulled face needs to be in the same ‘context’ as the faces onto which you hope to add it and then punch with a hole…

HI
i had same experience as you.

The reply about the group is right-i made this mistake.
I try to remember:

1. right click, chose edit group. (and any sub groups or components in that group, after)
    2.One must draw the rectangle on the face.
    so I click rectangle tool.
    then hover the mouse over the face until the little violet colored triangle or rectangle
    shows and it says “on face”.
    then i hold down “shift” and don’t let go, I assume to lock the inference.
    Skp will also find endpoints on the face after this while you are holding the shift key.

I am new so I may be imagining all this. but it works for me.

Next to the win update that freezes sketchup this has been the most frustrating…
good luck

Thank for your response and help.

(203) 324-6330
Anthony Masciarelli, AIA
MASCIARELLI ARCHITECTS
Stamford, Connecticut 06902

Thank you for your help.

(203) 324-6330
Anthony Masciarelli, AIA
MASCIARELLI ARCHITECTS