Two Profiles with Same Name?

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting here.

I’ve shared a few models to the 3DWarehouse over the years. Recently, I began seeing a bunch of models with what appeared to be my account name associated with them. I know I did not make those models, so I checked out the profile of the other person. Turns out they’re using the exact same profile name as me, although the URls for their profile and for mine are different.

This might be an honest coincidence, but how can I be sure no-one is trying to pose as me, or anything like that? How common is it for two different people to have the same profile name in the 3DWarehouse?

3D Warehouse allows users with the same name. This was a design decision made a long time ago and we have to live with it, unfortunately. You can set a custom URL for yourself, which can help alleviate some confusion, at least to yourself.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I just want to be sure there’s no funny business going on! Since I use first-name, last initial, it’s makes sense someone else would do the same.

@asnowballinhell
I discovered last year some time, after finding that “related models” no longer ever included even one of my own, that there were several other Warehousers with the same username. In fact, I found 14 of them before I gave up counting.

I had also noticed a steep decline in the numbers of views and downloads of my models about the same time. So, after Trimble decided to drop Warehousers’ join dates from the profiles, I changed my username and tacked on the year I joined the 3DWH, making my username a little more unique.

If the quality (or at least the aesthetic) of the models of these other Warehousers is not comparable to your own, or it appears that your models are not coming up in searches as much as in the past, being replaced by theirs… you might want to consider changing your 3DWH username, too.

1 Like

Thank you for the advice. Adding my join date to my username sounds like a good idea, although I’ve already gotten a custom URL (as suggested by psaal). I also have a unique profile pic, but I’m sure most people don’t pay that much attention.

The other user actually appears to be making higher-quality models than my own, I just don’t want to be confused with them.