Trying to design a land plot on terrain

Been playing around more and almost have it figured out. What seems to have worked for me (not sure if its the right way) is to drape the planning map on the terrain. Then once draped, select the outline that was draped and explode. Once thats done I can now add the materials and textures. Also, had to use some plugins to be able to extrude and move around stuff. Used tools on surface and joint push/pull.

For the terrain i used cadmapper and just draped the map plot over that. Now im having problems trying to align the two faces together so they fit perfect. Any suggestions for aligning 2 faces on top of each other?

Thank you again for all the help.

You will Get the best and most relevant answer if you attach your .skp model to a post. There are so many variables that it’s very difficult to guess at problems in your model without seeing it. Just drag the .skp file off your HD and drop it into an open response window here. Unless it’s too big then you can purge it and try again or upload to a file sharing service and post the link.

Glad you are making progress, although it sounds like you are working harder than you need to , no exploding should be necessary. If the two terrain samples are identical then it should be easy to line them up, although you will introduce Z-fighting by doing so. It’s often better to keep the two terrain versions an inch apart in Z to avoid this, or replace one with the other, depending on what you want to achieve. Post your file and we can get you set up.

Thank you very much.

test.skp (1.6 MB)

In this above file test.skp, i imported a map/terrain from cadmapper. Then I imported a model of the land plot I made. Basically trying to combine the 2 to fit per scale and work with the terrain.

combine.skp (5.0 MB)

This combine.skp file is my attempt to make it work with the explanation i gave above by exploding.

Thank you.

Got it. All looks pretty reasonable. Did you apply the drape like so? You can sample the upper textures without exploding. I see that you wanted the 3D plot edges raised as they were in the the flat version, I assume thats what you used JPP for, seems to have worked out. In your combined version plot lines appear correctly applied to the surface, What exactly are you trying to align?

1 Like

Thats right, I did exactly what you did above. Only difference as you said I exploded and redid the materials again instead of use the eyedropper like you.

For the alignment part, I think this is where it gets tricky and maybe i might just not even have enough info to do what i want. Its a bit tough trying to align exactly where this plot goes using the cadmapper terrain. I get a better view using the geolocation map thats available in sketchup. So basically, took the same co-ordinates for both geolocation and cadmapper, then tried to align one on top of the other exactly. My thought was once I have the geolocation aligned with cadmapper terrain. I can easily put my plot on top with the visuals i get from geolocation.

1 Like

Got it, I think. The trick then is going to be aligning the cad mapper data and the digi globe data from SketchUp. Assuming the data is closely scaled (should be) you might be able to do a hack job by just aligning visible landmarks in the two images, buildings and rivers. If it’s not for accurate site work it could be OK. I don’t see the SketchUp location in your combined version, that file is not geolocated.?

What are you getting out of cad mapper data that you need? Can you bring over just the parts you want (roads and buildings) from cad mapper and drop them onto the SketchUp terrain?