Truss Plugin/Extension

Note, I have not coded this into the plugin yet I’m just verifying the correct way to frame out these different options with feedback from others before I commit to a specific method.

some times the gable end truss is self supporting like a standard truss, with drop chords, for carports or verandas without a supporting beam. however like what you have done as noted.

Agreed, there are times that it is structural so the triangulating webs are included as well as the vertical studs. At some point I will also look at adding that option in as well

Outlookers enabled under advanced roof options for Monopitch truss types.

Fixed all truss types so that the outlookers are measured from the bottom. I also added the option to include outlookers at the peak.

Version 1.1.4 - 11.25.2015
Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Fink) truss type.
Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Fink) truss type with raised heel (vertical w/ strut).

The logic to make the dropped top gable end truss is ugly but it seems to work, I may find a few bugs with it yet but I think I’ve addressed most cases. The plugin will now allow you to create fairly complete roof geometry in a matter of seconds, something that even a prolific SketchUp user would probably take almost a half an hour to create. That alone makes me feel pretty good about it.

I love your plugin thank you. Above you asked about Mac users. That is what we use and it works great.

Do you have any plans for a double fink? We will be using your software to create models of existing trusses so we can send the info to an engineer to vet additional tcdl from solar panels. Your plugin will save us a lot of time in creating models of the existing trusses.

We have a request for double fink, and fan. Do you have any plans to add these?

Thank you once again for your awesome plugin.

Timber Wall Framing & Roof Truss/Rafter Extension

I have been concentrating on figuring out the detailing with gable end trusses and other issues rather than adding new common truss types, perhaps a misstep on my part. The fan, mod queen, double fink and double howe should really be hot items on the todo list. Let me see what I can do.

Hi medeek.

I’d love to have a chat with you sometime concerning automating timber framing, trusses and rafters in SketchUp. I’ve been searching high and low to find an extension for Sketchup. Recently I made a forum post in this community seeking advice after which I then stumbled across your posts.

Many thanks,

Rob

Version 1.1.5 - 11.25.2015

• Added Double Fink common truss type.
  • Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Double Fink) truss type.

Now that I have the basic template in place it takes me only about an hour or so of coding to add a new common truss type. I still need to add raised heels for the double fink but first I need to compress my algorithms for this option and then I can create a modular chunk of code that deals specifically with raised heels for all truss types.

Feel free to give me a call at any time: 425-420-5715, I’m just here at my desk.

I’ve given some thought to rafter framing. A gable roof is a piece of cake, I can probably knock it out in a couple of hours with all the options. Hip roof framing is a slightly different story. I’ve worked out the geometry and where all the planes and lines need to go, just need to find the time to make it happen.

Wall framing is something I would also like to tackle in the near future. I’ve used the housebuilder plugin which is pretty good but I think a lot more can be done in this regard (ie. portal frames, shearwalls, holdowns, corner treatment, beam pockets, etc…)

A couple examples of more advanced framing topics:

Thanks medeek. Do you mind if I email you over some details in a day or two? I’m based in the UK and it’s getting late now. What’s a good email address to contact you on?

Many thanks, your work looks great. I’d love to throw some ideas to you.

The best email to reach me at is nathan@medeek.com

Version 1.1.6 - 11.26.2015

• Added Fan and Mod Queen common truss types.
  • Structural outlookers (vert. & horz.) enabled under advanced roof options for Common (Fan & Mod Queen) truss types.

Four more common truss types still need to be added:

• Double Howe (6/6)
  • Mod Fan (8/4)
  • Triple Fink (8/7)
  • Triple Howe (8/8)

For very large buildings one could also consider:

• Quad Fan (10/5)
  • Quad Fink (10/9)
  • Quad Howe (10/10)
  • Quin Fan (12/6) …

A quad fink truss (10/9) with a raised heel (slider):

Valley Sets are here:

Proceed with caution though I just put it together so it is still a bit rough around the edges. Further testing and refinement is necessary but it seems to be working fairly decently.

Currently the main roof plane and two points need to be selected rather carefully I’m not sure I can do much about that, if not I will need to document in some detail how to use this function.

I’ve addressed a few bugs with the valley set algorithm and tested it in as many configurations and orientations as possible. It it more solid now. I suggest downloading the latest version of 1.1.7 that I just uploaded to the server.

Note that the plane of the main roof that is selected needs to be a rectangular shape at the moment to properly register (1st point selected). I usually just select the top face of one of the top chords of the trusses. The second point should be at the centerline of the last truss of the secondary roof line and at the ridge (peak) of this truss, the third point is also at the ridge (peak) but at a point towards the main roof. I really need to put the manual together to document this feature and how to use it, or at least a video.

I also updated the geometry algorithm slightly so that it adds additional verts a 48" o/c when the valley trusses get too large. This is keeping in line with standard practice on these types of valley sets. I can also make this an input if someone requests that it be such.

This update was not that complicated (valley sets) other than trying to figure out how to place the set based only on a plane and two points. Obtaining this information and then figuring out the math and code to compute the vertical distance between the bottom of the first valley truss where it rests on the main roof plane and the peak of the secondary roof line was the slightly painful part. The actual geometry of the valley set was surprisingly easy to code.

The real challenge will begin when I try to add some hip sets, I may push that out for awhile.

Here is an example of a large valley set with a Monopitch Primary Roof and a Common Secondary Roof. Notice the pitch of the monopitch roof is 6:12 while the secondary roof is 12:12.

Rather than calculate the overhang for the secondary roof it is just as easy to to trim the truss tails back and adjust the fascia so that it lines up with the fascia of the main roof after the fact.

Even with all the automation of certain tasks there is still a good bit of manual editing required when complex roof lines are involved however I find that SketchUp has a very intuitive interface for trimming solids and once the basic geometry is there the rest is usually not too much trouble.

With the main roof sheathing:

Version 1.1.8 - 12.07.2015

• Added Gable Rafter Roof.
  • Advanced options enabled for gable rafter roofs (sub-fascia, outlookers, sheathing, and rakeboards).
  • New submenu item and toolbar icon added for rafter roof type.
  • Plugin divided into multiple files for ease of management.

Structural outlookers for this type of a roof are still somewhat of a question. If they are horizontal it makes sense to notch the gable rafter but what if they are vertical?

It is amazing how many variations there can be for trusses, I believe it to be infinite, therefore a plugin will never do every roof type for trusses without it being very complex and difficult to use ( I do not think that a consumer product would be feasible enough pay for the development cost tp cover 99% of the industry). The other thing that I can see that may be an issue is that trusses are engineered systems that relate back to manufacturers of metal connectors, so the variables are many. Most builders and carpenters simply send the plans to a truss manufacturer and they detail these mostly for free (basically the manufacturer absorbs the cost in the manufacturing). Really the only benefit to having trusses in Sketchup is for visual reasons in section cuts and visual clash detection with Hvac/ MEP.

I had a quick play with the drawing there are a couple of things I noticed.

1. I may be missing a dimension as it I cannot determine the length of the wall parallel the 2566 long wall to without tracing over the plan.
  2. Regardless I took a look and this type of truss configuration and it can be automated. yet the Skylight is another kettle of fish.

In short the innumerable variations of design across the world will always come up with a problem that had not been considered. 95% of construction is similar (Square, hip, valley and gable construction) This will all be added into Plusspec in the future, we have been working on it now for some time. I personally think that Medeek is doing a fantastic job.
Anyhow this is a screen grab of a 2 minute truss config from the info you provided, it is currently buggy and personally I would not build from it or estimate from it. … and I know the hips are not in the right position on the skillion section, I did not have the correct measures or time ATM.

The configuration are infinite however I think one can program 95% or better of the most common cases. Everything else has to be drawn manually. How did you generate the geometry in the image shown? I’m looking at hips rafter framing right now and I am having some difficultly with the beveled cuts where the hip rafters intersect with the ridge and fascia.