Track: SketchUp Fundamentals

The Components window is displayed on the right in your screenshot. If you want to see the components in the model, click on the little house icon just to the left of the search window that shows"3D Warehouse."

This isn’t clear. Where and what exactly are you expecting to see? If a component has been made unique, it is no longer connected to the component is was previously related to.

Go to the Window menu, click Default Tray and tick Entity Info.

Thanks, I think I have it figured out now.

1 Like

Hi, I’m refamiliarising myself with Sketchup, and going through the fundamentals course. V 20.0.362 on Mac OS X Mojave. I don’t seem to be able to get line inferencing working correctly. Sometimes, but not always, when I tap and release the down key the inferencing goes to the last selected line rather than the currently selected line. What am I missing here?

‘Festina lente’ eg. ‘Make haste slowly’
The inference system is very sophisticated.
While nothing selected, start an edge, hoover over another and make sure it is displaying the red indicator (on edge).
Thus in between end- or midpoints.
Once you get the right one, you can either hold shift or press the down arrow button to get the same, hit twice for parallel direction and a third time to start all over again.

If you hoover over an end- or midpoint, it looks for points aligned with the current drawing axis and have the prior direction still in memory.

I always compare it with my dog, it always remembers where to look for thrown away bones in the exact order I throw them, except for the last…

2 Likes

These are ones I always struggle to remember, and I don’t really get perpendicular. It’s not perpendicular to a line; It’s perpendicular to one of the infinite number of planes the line is coincident with.

Thanks - you’re right - I just needed to wait a little longer “hovering” - to enable the parallel inferencing.
Is there a way you can reduce that time in preferences?

There are no customized inference settings. Inferencing is deeply integral and just works the way it works. 1-2 full seconds of hovering is usually what it takes, but even after using SketchUp for ~20 years, I still find myself ‘asking’ for inferences several times. Some of this will speed up when you get familiar with Inf Locking, and practice, but some of it is just part of the SketchUp personality.

Can I download the Fundamentals course modules so that I can work and train offline? I have downloaded the exercise files but what about downloading and saving the video tutorials so one can work on both at same time?

Hi @courtney.queripel . We currently do not allow SketchUp campus videos to be downloaded. We will let you know if this feature becomes available in the future as we continue to gather user feedback and make improvements to the overall experience.

I am encountering errors when I move from Arcs to Rectangles in the Drawing Tools module. I have tried 2 different browsers and deleting my history. This link in particular: Rectangles

I’m getting error messages on both chrome and safari on my MacBook Pro when i try to continue to new courses on sketch up fundamentals - is there some sort of workaround here?

Sorry about the errors you are seeing. I reset the site several times a week and have done so again today, so it’s possible it will work now.

The other common remedies are to try a different browser, or view in incognito mode. Try clearing your browser cache. Often if you close the login window and view the videos as anonymous, that tends to work as well.

We know this is an ongoing issue, we have a solution in the works, but it’s still a ways off. Thanks for letting us know.

I finished the Downloads and Quick Start portion of the course, but I am having issues with the Core Concepts. The Download for this portion does not seem to be correct. When I open it, it opens Gimp with an error message. Weird, since this is SketchUp not Gimp! Below is a Snip of the message as it opens in Gimp.

Looks like you have .skp files associated with Gimp. Maybe because you don’t have Sketchup installed on your computer. Your profile says you are using SketchUp Free (Web). If that’s the case you can’t simply open a SketchUp file that is located on your computer, you first need to open SketchUp Free in your web browser and then choose to open a file and retrieve it from your computer.

I tried that too. That error said the file was too large and not a SketchUp file.
I don’t know how the .skp files would be associated with Gimp.

Evidently GIMP has commandeered that file extension. You should be able to remove that extension in GIMP’s preferences. Since you evidently do not have SketchUp installed on your computer, there’s no reason for Windows to associate that file type with SketchUp.

So 2-Core Concepts.skp is too large to open in SketchUp Free? It’s only 78 Kb. That’s not too large. It opened just fine for me.

Found this course really informative. I’ve been using SU for a couple of years, but mostly by trial and error or with feedback/suggestions from the Community.

This course showed me how to do a lot of things much easier than I was doing them. Also, it did a great job of explaining concepts (especially inferencing). I had no idea how powerful inferencing really is.

Thanks for creating these.

Now a few questions:

1. In Quickstart Section 3-Copying Pillars, 1 minute into the video instructor says “…rule is to group single objects and anything you will copy should be a component.”

• Is there REALLY an advantage to creating some objects as Groups instead of just making all of them Components?

• Making a Component “Unique” makes it behave just like a group, right?

• Later in the course it shows how to change an object from a Group to a Component. I didn’t see any option to do the reverse. Is that possible?

2. If I use the Soften Edges Eraser function, how (if at all) does that affect the individual pieces? For example:

• will I still be able to do inferences to points on those objects that had their edges softened?

• does it impact the size of pieces? i.e. will my cutlist reflect the true dimensions of the pieces?

Some users think so. Others, including me, don’t.

Not exactly. It’s still a component. You could select several components out of a bunch and make them unique. They’d have the same definition so editing one of them would edit the related ones.

No. Well, you can explode the component and make it a group. Why would you want to do that, though?

I think it’s a waste of time and effort to first make something a group and then convert it to a component. It also leads to errors. Again, some users like to do that, though./

Yes but it depends on what you are softening. You might turn on Hidden Geometry to make points you want to infer to/from easier to find.

Softening edges doesn’t affect the size of the component’s bounding box so it’ll have no impact on the dimensions reported in a cutlist.

1 Like

It’s very much a workflow thing, people develop their own style that works for them.
The benefits of components are fairly obvious, easy editing multiple at once, stored within the model so you can always get one (often even after a major crash)…
The Cons are less obvious, large models may end up with a cluttered and what can be an unusable component browser, failure to Make Unique can lead to editing things you don’t want edited, always needing to respond to the make component dialog …

Basically there is no hard rule, whatever works best for you is acceptable as long as you understand your choices.
Personally I use far more groups than @DaveR would be happy with, but then a lot of my work involves quickly making a group then doing something possibly extreme to it, adding it to another group or array of the same group then using outer shelf to make that mess into one piece, which I then make into a component.
I also usually only make groups in my gifs as I don’t want to deal with the component dialog as the gifs are so short.

1 Like