Track: Landscape and Site Design

Move(m)+Ctrl to copy a line…fool! :roll_eyes:

Haha, all good, happens to the best of us!

It took me years to learn that trick. Glad you’ve got it now!

Just wondering if anyone else had issues with the “CC_DesignBase.dwg” that you import from the reference files. I found lots of gaps in them (seems pretty standard). I used the extensions “Flatten To Plane” & “Edge Tools²” to try to close all edge gaps but I couldn’t get it to fix the gaps. I understand it is good practise to fix but it’s just so frustrating & unproductive use of time. I wish those AutoCAD users would learn to join their line work :wink:

@SJS66 - This same question came up yesterday. The reality is, no matter how well we all draft in CAD, there will ALWAYS be gaps and overlaps due to the way SketchUp converts vector arcs to segments. This ‘CCdesignbase’ plan in particular is challenging due to the many curves and tangent lines.

See this post here: Edge tools not closing gaps - #7 by eric-s

The extensions reviewed in the course will solve the gaps issue. Let me know if you experience any other problems.

A post was split to a new topic: Import of CADMapper data

For some reason I’m not getting sound at all.

EDIT: Only on Chrome. Edge works fine.

Hi,

I have successfully completed the tracks SketchUp Fundamentals and Modeling Practice. I also at some point recently had clicked on one of the videos for the Landscape Design track and it played fine.

Now I am trying to officially begin the Landscape Design track and none of the videos will play. I have tried several videos on that track and all the links return a page that says

Error
The website encountered an unexpected error. Please try again later.

I have tried playing the videos from Firefox and from IE with the same result. I also checked the videos on the other tracks that I have completed and they still play fine. Other than trying again later, does anyone know what the problem could be?

I see the errors too. Seems to only happen if you are signed in, you could sign out to watch the videos, though of course it won’t remember your progress. @eric-s @TysonK

Did you notice how sad the sign in avatar looks?

1 Like

A nose like that would make anyone sad…
A door detail from Brasenose College, Oxford:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. we’ll take a closer look into it as for me, on a Mac and signed in using both Safari, Chrome and Firefox, everything is working correctly. Have you tried disabling any extensions or add ons? Or perhaps running it in a ‘Private Browswer’? Let us know if there is any change on your end.

Hi Eric, and @colin Colin, thanks for the quick reply.

The track works if I sign out, so thanks for that workaround. It’s just strange that it only happened with this track and not the others. I don’t think any of my extensions are causing this, as I don’t really have anything special besides McAffee on my browser. But as I’m not very tech-savvy there could be others that maybe I am not necessarily seeing.

Anyway, I’m good to go. Progress-tracking not as important, as long as I can do the video! :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Note that it fails for me as well, and I tested in Safari and Chrome, and have no extensions in Safari, and wasn’t in a Private window.

I thought of one possibility, we may both be in Europe. I tried using VPN to appear to be in the US, but that didn’t solve the problem.

I’m having the same problem in Chrome. I’ve signed out and back in, tried an incognito window, and disabled all but my Webroot extension. Nothing seems to work.

Ya, we are seeing the same thing. Being logged into Campus returns errors. Very sorry.

For now, try watching without logging in at all. (You can simply close the pop-up window that will ask you to do so)

It should be fixed within a few hours, in the short term try to watch as anonymous.

TysonK, thanks for the tip. It worked great. Also, I just signed back in this morning, and the course is working fine now.

BTW - this is my first experience posting & response experience in the forum and it’s pretty impressive.

Thanks again.

2 Likes

Hi there,

Is it possible to obtain all the precise height measurements to design the ramps?

It’s in inches and I don’t have a clue of what calculations you made to get those values.

@joao.p.arq Good question. This lesson was not intended to be a precise grading exercise. See attached for metric conversion. The goal is to have a consistent slope between each major zone. Of course in the real world we may need to include things like ADA (in the USA) landings, handrails, etc.

Here are the landings for you in Metric if helpful.

And don’t worry about specific dimensions. I was demonstrating how to draw vertical ‘spot’ elevations in the event you needed your ramp to hit at specific points but like I said, for this demo, it’s not important. Instead, try drawing a straight ramp from edge to edge and use the sandbox drape, or intersect with selection method (shown below) to get the exact curve/shape of each ramp.

1. example of flat ramp needing to get up to next level (0.9m above)

2. Draw flat plane representing slope connecting end points.

3. Group flat ramp and extrude up so it runs through sloped ramp.

4. Select both and ‘intersect with selection’.

5. Delete extruded group…group ‘extra bits’ and delete.

6. Finished result. Let me know if you run into any other issues.

1 Like

Hey Eric-s

Much appreciated for taking the time give that information.

I don’t quite know why I haven’t changed to Metric yet. Must be cause the majority of youtube tutorials are North American.

Anyway, let me apologize for you going over that trouble, given that I eye-balled it and I think that I managed a fairly positive result. I was getting some weird twists and descents near the end of the slopes - particularly with the smaller walks - but a few measurement tweaks and it looked better.

Looks great. Thanks for the update. Keep up the good progress!