Top-down modelling method in Sketchup

I wondered how to realize Top-down design in Sketchup. For example, I create a building mass component(parent object) and then I start detailing through other components(children object). The problem is how to glue children to parent’s object. May there is some hack to connect edges or smth else…

Usually, the (only) way is up! That said, the global mass of the building is often just a shell. You can use it for volumes and quick estimating and for visualisation in general. Once passed that stage, you need to get more details, like window frames etc. What you don’t want is that the geometry of windows and doors get merged with the mass, because it will then loose all ‘Metadata’, it will all be just a bunch off edges and faces…

You can, however construct the different parts of the building (floors, walls, windows, etc.) and see how they ‘fit’ in the building’s mass volume. It would be wise to name them accordingly, in order to see them in the Outliner panel. Window->Default Tray-> check outliner

There, you can drag the items in the building mass, which would create a more manageable model…

2 Likes