Tool bars and flipping

Still learning but I just set up my screen the way Timothy S. Killen suggests in his Fine Woodworking Sketch up guide for wood workers CD but now I have lost my tool bars that were on the left side of the screen, my tape measure tool now has a plus sign added to it and all I was trying to do was learn how to flip a component. Any help out there for an old man what ain’t so hip. Thanks Jim King, Elmira, NY

Hi Jim,

I’m not sure I understand exactly what you mean about losing the toolbars on the left side of the screen. Tim’s book was written quite awhile ago and since then the way toolbars are handled in SketchUp on the PC has changed. There have also been some mostly minor changes to the appearance of the tools but they should still be recognizable. The plus sign on the Tape Measure tool has been a default thing for awhile. It means that the tool will create guidelines or guide points. If you hit Ctrl, that will turn off the plus sign and allow you to use the tool for measuring without creating the guides.

As for learning to flip, I’m not sure how that’s related to the other things but I can help you. If you want, I can show you personally. Just drop me a private note.

Dave

Okay Dave so very sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but I have been a tad busy. Just doing things old people do. I think you can gather a lot from your opening statement about  the book Tim has written. That should give you a pretty good idea about how long I have been trying to get a handle on drawing in 3d.I guess the good news is that I have not given up.Anyway on page 4 and 5 of his book he shows how he set up his screen to work for him, this is where he places the toolbar on the right hand side of the screen. So that's where I placed mine also. Then I decided to give a whirl to see how things worked out. Shazam...the tools bars that where on the right  where I placed them are gone. NO IDEA WHERE.But what I did was go up and select the get started tools and forge on.

Not to be out done I get out my trusty DVD written by my buddy Dave Richards “The Basics” [maybe you know him, lol ]This is where I was able to figure out how to flip a component end for end. But I’m still scratching my head on how I lost the tool bar when I saved it as a new templet. Dave I know this takes up a lot of your time trying to fix and old man but all I just need to get me a tool bar set up- more than basic that will stay where I put it.I 'am learning from SketchUp for Woodworkers but I also forget a lot that I have watched by the time I stop the DVD and fire up my Sketch Up. That is why I printed out Tim’s direction.No hope for me Dave but I sure do appreciate you taking the time to get back to me. Jim King, Elmira, NY

Jim,

I’m glad you got that flipping thing taken care of. We should take care of the toolbars, though. Maybe we can set up a time to get together so I can see your screen and talk you through getting the toolbars back in order.

There is still hope for you, yet, Jim.

I was lucky enough to have receiving a couple private session from Dave.
Dave is a Pro! It was a real pleasure to watch and learn from him.

Thanks again Dave!

1 Like