Too narrow pre-choices in 3dwarehouse

Had not been in the 3dw for a couple f months. Now I get a set of prechoices to make about country, and interests and then only three, where i could tick at least 8 of them. BUT, we work worldwide on projects in more than one market and need stuff to be visible because it often means availability somewhere. Bottom line, how do we get around this silly pre-choice narrowmindedness?

2 Likes

By prioritization. Don’t aim for ticking all, but those that fit most.

Users will thank you because it avoids that a plethora of other uploaders check all boxes and decreases irrelevant noise in search results.

In our working environment it would mean I should re-tick the settings at least every day. A bathroom for one job, Stand-parts for another, with th assumption the files are tagged appropriatly.
Part if the usefulness of 3dw is the surprise: found something inbetween the ‘noise’ that is relevant for our project. Its just with google: the best results one gets when logged out and re-ip’d over vpn.

It’s really annoying that I can’t simply download a model — after having to log in — without also being required to fill in a webform with user attributes/prefences. I’d already found the model I wanted within the first 5 results, but I’m faced with a modal window that I can’t dismiss if I want to actually download it. FFS.

Pre-filtering search results based on user preferences should be an option, not a requirement. In the current implementation it’s simply obstructive and not remotely helpful.

Not impressed with recent imposed changes to the 3D WH and Extension WH.

2 Likes

Agree 200% db11.

1. Why do I have to log in? Why is Trimble following me around in what I use? It should not be their concern at all. Same with extensions. Its a WTF. I think it is a privacyproblem. Non-GDPR. And maybe even spying on my business.
  2. Pre-filtering makes finding things harder and does cost time EG money. It certainly does not add to our bottom line. Which is why we use skp in the first place.
  3. Why do I have to log in into trimble to use anything in sketchup? Why is trimble making sketchup call ‘home’ to ‘entitlements.sketchup.com’ and ‘analytics.sketchup.com’ (in total eight logins somewhere? I think it extremely creepy and it seems they took the chapass option for a licence check, which should be in the app itself.

Hello petervanbeelen,

I am facing the same problem. I came here to post about it, and found your post.

I know that this is a change made by Trimble a while ago, but I feel it’s a bad change. What is the purpose of “let[ting] us filter content according to your location”? I don’t want Trimble filtering content according to my location. Some of my favorite models have come from SketchUp users around the world. I don’t want to miss out on what I need due to location. And likewise, I don’t want people to be prevented from seeing my models just because they live in a different country than I do. (Granted, my contributions are minuscule at this point.)

I found it interesting that before I was logged into 3dwarehouse, I saw a lot of great models. I went to give one a like, and that’s when I saw I was not logged in. So, I logged in, and when I was returned to the search results page, the particular model I was interested in no longer showed up. I was able to find it again because I had the author’s name.

I agree with db11, that this behavior is making things more difficult, not less. You both have expressed exactly what I came to say.

1 Like

Interesting to see Trimble / sketchup shrouding itself in silence. Seems they are trying to coach us all into more expensive and closed-in ‘options’, which in the end will find most users in the same position as with autodesk or adobe: overpriced, unaffordable and lost of ‘options’ included we never asked for and never will need. Its an predatory amercan businessmodel which is completely void of customerfocus. Like trimble connect for starters.
We alle have our onedrives, googledocs, dropbox of other cloudoptions working, which makes something like this totally superfluous.