Tip for aligning holes

Any tips for making and aligning holes in two boards abutting each other? Each board is in a group.

And…then if I want to move one and keep the hole in the adjoinging piece aligned with the new position. How do I do that?

Can’t find any topic or videos explaining this.

thanks.

tenon jig.skp (107.1 KB)

You could use a “drill” to cut the holes in both groups using the Solid Tools. You could also model the hole in one part and use that as a reference for modeling the hole in the other part.

Edit one group, select the hole geometry and move it. Then open the other group and repeat the process.

Check your PMs.

Thanks Dave,

You could use a “drill” to cut the holes in both groups using the Solid Tools.

okay - I’ll start looking at videos on solid tools. Not familiar with that.

hal

Click in sequence on the scenes tabs of this SU file for ideas.

Aligning holes.skp (239.9 KB)

View videos about using inferences in SketchUp. They are your best friends.

2 Likes

To help achieve your goals, some time spent at the SketchUp Campus and at the SketchUp - YouTube channel will be very worthwhile. Both sites are from the SketchUp team. On the YouTube channel, pay attention to the Square One Series. It covers the basics for each tool.

1 Like

Jean - That is so very helpful. thanks for taking the time to put together that visual tutorial. That took some time to do and I appreciate it.

Thanks RLGL - I have been picking through various videos but probably not going about it in a systematic way. Your guidance to the Sketchup Camus and Square One series I think will prove to be the more solid foundation I need.

1 Like