This one is for all versions…..Windows, Mac and iPad

I just had a long video conference call with Dave R. From the forums and I think he and I agree, Let’s Work Smarter. We need to unify SketchUp within Trimble so that when a user on Windows has a problem, that issue will also show up on Mac.

First of all we need to make the user experience and functionality the same on all three [3] formats. The basic user interface from Windows needs to be the same on the Max and to a degree on the iPad. The Tray system from Windows wins out. We both agree that Apples should be Apples not Apples and Oranges. The more we make the same the more interoperability we can have from home to office, office to office and discipline to discipline when multiples are involved.

I just requested the ability to have folders under tags on the iPad. I work in all three versions at any given time so it makes sense to have them in all three.

And after my discussion with Dave R., he and I have come to another conclusion. Based upon some new stuff that he showed me, and yes even us old dogs who have been att it a long while, can learn new tricks, is that the switch from ‘Layers’ to ‘Tags’ may not be the correct term to use. tags is used in a few different places in the SketchUp/Layout universe so it could get confusing. Perhaps ‘Tags’ should be re-termed to be ‘ELEMENTS’ or ‘PARTS’ since ‘Layers’ is more of a 2-D thing and ‘Tags’ is used in different ways?

Just some thoughts from a user since version 4.

2 Likes

I would listen to anything endorsed by @DaveR .

However, I am wondering who your post is directed at and who is the mysterious “we”. The we of this forum is just end users. And they can bark and wail all they want but mostly they get ignored by Trimble. I have stopped posting in Feature Requests because it seemed like barking at the moon.

As for changing the name of Tags again, when people are still confused about the whole concept, I am not sure how wise that is. I can see why you might but that’s another matter.

Of course it makes complete sense for things to be the same across all platforms. Who doesn’t want that. But my guess is that it ain’t that easy to implement. For me, who only uses a Mac and no laptop, PC, or tablet, I would much rather see integration between SU and LO than across platforms. It would look quite different to someone in a large office with different machines or in a teaching setting, maybe.

But I still hope you get your wish!

Yeah, I’m reacting the same as simon I think.

On the tag issue, the french word is evenly confusing, “balise” (for you developers, it’s the same as the <stuff> you put in html. or the smart text in layout) Elements or parts would be even worse though, since you can use tags for a LOT of things. Name of the person who’ll install the stuff, stages of constructions, steps in an animation…
In the end, I liked Layers, I understand why they changed it to Tag, and I’m pretty sure it’s the best worse name they found :slight_smile:

On the interface thing, sure. I’ve been teaching both for a while, having a similar interface would be great. And as for the “yeah but it’s using mac’s interface etc.” I have a ton of apps using their own interface, often the same on both mac and PC. Just look at adobe, they unified their look ages ago.
Trouble is, if SU decides to unify the interfaces, you can be 100% sure we’ll end up with the icons and designs from the web / ipad version. Sure, they are more harmonious, but they are less readable than the colourful icons we have now. Once more, look at what adobe did, now we have monochromatic minimalist icons that are harder to differenciate.
edit : I mean, look at the new logos. Pretty ? sure. But ■■■■, they are not super readable. It’ like the google apps revamp where all the logos kinda look the same.

So in the end, my opinion is not as strong as yours.
Having the windows trays and toolbars system on mac ? yay sure. The colour panel ? yeah, I wouldn’t mind (or why not a colour panel similar to layout’s). But in the end, I’m used to it, and when I teach SU, it’s rarely to people who are going to work on both platforms.