Things are disappearing

I am on SU pro 2021 and i have having a heck of a time navigating the model space. Everytime i go INTO a group or component, and rotate the camera, the software starts clipping. I have no other hidden geometry that is bigger than the object itself. Just some smaller rectangles i was using to cut some holes.

thanks
Hub center caps with chamfer.skp (480.8 KB)
why

You scaled objects down without correcting their definitions. Right click on the cap component and choose Scale Definition. Probably the easiest thing for the group is to just explode it and remake it.

Why the inconsistency in your model? Why a component for one and a group for the other?

Hub center caps with chamfer.skp (512.9 KB)

Do you have parallel projection selected? If so change to perspective.

camera>perspective

I have never had to do this scale definition you speak of. Is this a new feature? In 2019 version, i never had to select that. Why do i have to now?i have scsled projects up and down many times for tiny face issues and never had clipping.

They all should be components. I have no idea why one is a group. Maybe when i did solid tools on it, it made one of them a group?

Tha ks for the help:)

Camera is the correct camera. Never had this issue before

That often would help clipping, but this one was not typical. Fortunately, Dave had the answer!

I still dont see how thats the answer though? In veraion 2019, i scaled up and down all day with out this issue. Scaling is a major part of the software and moat of my projects. I use it to not cause tiny faces but never have i had to select scale definition before.

No. It’s been there since there have been components. If you scale a component instead of opening it and scaling the geometry, the component’s definition does not get corrected. In that case you need to scale the definition.

You and I have talked about this at length before. The native Solid Tools convert components they modify to groups. That’s why you should use Eneroth Solid Tools or Bool Tools 2.

There’d be no problem with this if you were using the “Dave Method”.

“No. It’s been there since there have been components. If you scale a component instead of opening it and scaling the geometry, the component’s definition does not get corrected. In that case you need to scale the definition.”

i have never ever seen this happen before. I have always scaled the group or component, not the geometry inside it haha.

So to follow the correct principles then, i need to either explode the geometry before scaling the group or component, or scale inside the group or component?

I need to get eneroth installed again. this is a brand new purchase of supro 2021:) I have had more success with the SU solid tools than eneroth. Eneroth has always given me tiny faces and holes even scaled by 1000.

thanks again my friend

Even sketchups own video tutorials show them scaling the group and not the geometry inside it. Im still not getting what you and collin are saying haha.

It only applies to components and only if they are at a scale different than the scale at which they were created. In your model, not the one I uploaded, right click on the Base which is centered on the origin. You’ll see Scale Definition in the Context menu. Then, without doing anything in the context menu, bring in another instance of the Base component from the In Model components.

No! Not at all. But you need to handle the component definitions correctly.

I still don’t know why you have that problem. I regularly use the Eneroth Solid Tools and have no problems at all.

Are you mac or PC? I sometimes feel that windows 10 updates mess with things haha.

ill follow your steps above and see what happens. thanks