The ∞ SketchUp Wish List

I would love to be able to turn off warnings on MAC. Specifically this one.

Be specific. Which warnings?

This is (more or less) the only thing I miss after I left 3ds Max:
The little transformation palette with spinners. You can click-and-drag up or down or type values if you know where you need to go. It’s both easy and precise. :smile:

If the developers don’t want to incorporate this, then I do hope some of the brilliant coders will have a go at making something like this.

@KarinSkaug I feel like we already have very similar functionality. Using the arrow key modifiers to lock axis we can drag any object in a specific axis. We can also currently type in specific x,y,z coordinates when using the move tool. I see it’s a bit different, what is the most useful aspect of this window for you?

2 Likes

The ease of use and control it gives. You can see your absolute position (I find it hard to find out where things are in SU) and the relative transformation. The click-move-click operation for each axis of SU makes you click a lot more to make the same move. And the inferencing keep interfering you (I really wish for toggling the snapping on/off).
And you can type just the single value you want to change. Can I do that in SU? (Without having started to click, move and lock axis first - because by then I’m already halfway done)

Yes, you can do that in SketchUp, I do this all the time. Select the entity you want to move and just type <x;y;z> if you want to use relative coordinates or use [x;y;z] if you want absolute coordinates. Imo, handling coordinates in SketchUp is more straightforward than in 3dsmax, you just have to get use to it.

4 Likes

I know, but that’s not the same nor as easy. You have to know and write all three values and find the semicolon between them each time. And you have no display of your absolute coordinates, so I find I have to use time to investigate where my geometry is first, to know where to move it. It takes me a lot more time and clicks.

Not if you are using relatives coordinates. If you want to move the edge of your picture 2 units in x and 1 unit in Z, you just have to type <2;0;1>

This is because you are thinking in absolute coordinates, forge it. 99% of the cases all you want to use is relative coordinates.

1 Like

I have other experiences. When I have the architect looking over my shoulder asking what height that piece is now, I need to give him absolute coordinates fast.

Use the Text tool.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t want this conversation to became a battle, but I keep replying back to you because I think there is something that I’m missing. I’m an architect too, so I know the feeling of having someone looking over your shoulder and asking things to be done fast :sweat_smile:

In this case why not to activate the text tool or the tape mesure tool?

I mean, If you are placing a window in the second floor of a 4 story building, I imaging you want to know the distance from that second floor to the height you want the window to be placed. Why would you want to know the absolute distance from where the origin of the file is? As I said in most cases you won’t. But in case you need it, just activate the text tool and click on the point you want to know the absolute height.

Also, this coordinates system is not something unique to SketchUp. AutoCAD, Rhino and any cad software i’m aware of, have this kind of system as oppose to most visualisation software as 3dsmax, cinema4d… they usually lack of a appropriate relative or polar system.

1 Like

Well, our workflow is with buildings and terrain at the real world height and orientation, so I do need to ensure I have the correct absolute height.
This is the beauty of the little window from Max. The information is already there. I don’t have to do anything to get it. That’s what I miss.

This is a wish list post. I wish SU could have this spesific functionality.

You can use ThomThom’s Transformation Inspector to see the origin of the selected object (along with its axes that also make up the transformation matrix). However it’s probably easier to just use the text tool, or not think in global coordinates as others have stated. I’ve never asked myself where something is in global coordinates as a user. I have as a developer when trying to convert to lat/long and working with other file formats, but as a user I’ve only been interested in where an object is in relation to other objects.

People are also allowed to suggest alternative solutions, especially when they wish for something not to be added to SketchUp. To most people an extra interface for this would really just be bloat that makes the program more complex. A main reason why people choose SketchUp in the first place is because it is very simple to use with very few things to worry about.

3 Likes

just hot key the query tool, tells you where you are in 3d space

I hot key mine to the “?” key

5 Likes

That’s a great option, but worth pointing out it’s not included anymore and needs to be installed separately. Utilities.

1 Like

True, a puzzling decision… same applies to Nothpoint… no idea why they were taken out of the basic install…

The only reasons I can think of for Solar North was that that it was made a Pro only feature (I sense there was a desperate lack of such features) and to get people to discover Extension Warehouse. Wasn’t it taken out around the same time Extension Warehouse was launched?

I believe earlier and now…

While drawing in Sketchup, I would like a faster way to toggle between dimension modes - metric, imperial, architectural, fractions or display all at once.

Would like an option in Sketchup to force the move tool to simply move and nothing else.

I would like to see an estimated file size based on the quality options chosen before exporting a PDF from Layout.

Thanks

There is a plugin that adds unit options as a toolbar.

1 Like