The future of SketchUp

Here’s a song for those who have lost anything:

3 Likes

:thinking: Wait a minute! I understand now exactly! :bulb:
For example: “Circle Tool” was converted from Rhino’s “Circle command”. (Because Rhino is older than SU)
Continuing the train of thought: The “Circle command” was converted from the wheel, because that has existed since the late Neolithic age. :innocent:

4 Likes

I agree with you!

1 Like

Follow me please, look at the difference between rhino circle and sketchup cercle , have you try to draw a spiral curve using a sketchup extension and most parametric sketchup plugins isn t for free and be ready to not be able to work properly in new version and spending half day to reinstall your plugins if the developper allow you without a new purchasing ( sketchup annuel fees + plugins fees )!!!.
Gumball in Rhino is a tool save a lot of time when you want to move or rotate or push pull ( point, edge, surface, block) within one click no need to select and reselect again and again.
If i have an advice to give you just try to look what Rhino can do with one time bying permanente licence.

1 Like

So you want to say that the wheel was also invented by Rhino.
Maybe one day I’ll check.
Have a nice day!

3 Likes

This is a weird comment to me. This is a UI choice that lets you edit 3D geometry a certain way. SketchUp has made a different UI choice that lets you edit in a different way.

If you like the way Rhino lets you do things, go use Rhino, but demanding that SketchUp change to suit your preference is kind of odd…

6 Likes

I still like sketchup and continu to use it everydaybut has a limitation unfortunatly. Have a nice day from Paris

?

Drink a beer instead! :beers:
Cheers!
:peace_symbol:

2 Likes

Hi Justin, it was a long debate today, I know that we can make our own shortcut keys to save time, and o thing it is time to have bim within sketchup and able to have section label connected to a reference page in layout and componants can in one click be annotated in layout, saving therefore a lot of time.
But the concern from this morning was trimble polities and I am not alone who say that.

Regards

Cheers :beers:

As a matter of fact I am! Hope to see you are Basecamp sometime!

1 Like

Your thought is: the Future of sketchup is: it must have the features from rhino and blender and the terrible gui too?
Why? There is rhino, there is blender, there is sketchup - why should all these softwares have the same features and the same way how to make models?
As i’m already said: welcome to the rhino features thread - like we had in the past about blender.

3 Likes

Omg! Exciting!

Wait….shall they also reach to a point which was in the past of SketchUp (and then complain that improvements such as being made in the SketchUp UI are useless)?

1 Like

You have been able to draw geometry direct in Blender for several versions its called Grease Pencil and is very natural.

1 Like

That’s the weird thing about some of the opinions this thread - I find SketchUp’s UI is optimized for precision style modeling (usually architecture, woodworking, etc). I can’t speak for Rhino, but I can tell you Blender is NOT optimized for that kind of thing…at all.

So when people talk about UI improvements to Blender, that’s fine, but they’re not an indicator that it’s superior to SketchUp for this kind of modeling. They’re an indicator that the Blender devs had some things that they wanted to adjust to make working in Blender better. The NUMBER of changes doesn’t make Blender a superior precision modeling tool…

It’s kind of like when Blender releases a new version and adds new sculpting tools. People point to that update with the “SEE? Blender is updating, why isn’t SketchUp?” attitude. Well, SketchUp doesn’t want to be a sculpting engine - it’s not an apples to apples comparison.

7 Likes

In SketchUp circle is a circle. Segments are a way to display it. That is what all applications do, including Rhino and AutoCad. Circle as a NURBS curve is a bad thing. When you export it you don’t get a circle but a Bezier spline. Haven’t tried with Rhino (I do have Rhino), but it happens with, for instance, Illustrator.
NURBS is a great but often unintuitive way of representing form, but if I may venture a guess, it won’t happen with SketchUp. It would require a total rewrite of the application and its graphic engine.

1 Like

I was thinking of renaming the topic to “Future of Rhino” … but now it could be named as “Future of Blender” too.
But I didn’t find a suitable category for any of them. So, I’ll leave it as it is … and I will leave (this topic).

2 Likes

This is your opinion.

I use it for exactly what I need and I am mostly happy with it.
Once I decide I won’t use it anymore, I’ll say a nicely: Thank you for serving for 20+ years… and will go wherever I want.
:peace_symbol: :beers:

3 Likes

Exactly. But some people insist on trying to use it as one, as evidenced by this forum and the struggles they come across trying to model sculptural elements.

2 Likes

Sketchup has evolved. And let’s be fair, Blender isn’t THAT different over the years. It’s still a mess, it still does what it always does, and cycles is JUST rendering and has no impact or improvement on modeling at all.