The future of SketchUp

SketchUp 2020 can read in any file that is from 2020 or earlier. The general answer is that if the file was made in a later version that had more features, older versions of SketchUp don’t know how to process the new features.

That has changed in SketchUp 2021, it has been set up to ignore the new features, if there are any in the file. If the model is only using features that existed with 2021, then the file is going to completely work. For files that will be made in the latest version, say at the end of 2024, the file will still open in 2021, but whatever magical features have been added in the next 3 1/2 years will not be visible in 2021.

5 Likes

I cannot. I am just repeating what has been said here on the forum in the past. I know it takes time and server to create and store versions of files and we limit the number of versions due to the millions of files we host at no cost to users.

Not a Warehouse developer or involved in the running or development at all… just relaying info from previous conversations.

■■■■ wright … its only to push people

2 Likes

I can’t wrap my head around paying for Sketchup to begin with. Even with a graphics oriented gaming computer, the app is glitchy and a pain to deal with once there is a fair amount of data involved. Redraws, editing, and navigation are slow. Editing is tricky because choosing the correct object can be a challenge when many points are involved. Any macro written for improving a task or simplifying one has to be added, typically with having to pay a developer for it.

1 Like

The answer is simple: You pay if you use it for work.

2 Likes

Does the Pro version perform better than the free one?

1 Like

Pro 2021 performs better than Make 2016. The year versions work identically. But that is not the point.

SketchUp feels like it was a whole new fresh idea created outside of the “old CAD world”. A new bright take on how to create in 3D.
Then handed over to an “old CAD world” player and is it being dragged down back into the old world?
Wouldn’t it have been better staying in the hands of the New World?

3 Likes

SketchUp was developed with a ‘senior’ draftsmen in mind in a time that youngsters where playing with (2D) Cad.
It could very well be that it is now going to be part of getting the ‘older’ generation into a new world of collaboration in a BIM methodology with Trimble Connect, Predesign a new 3D Warehouse with ‘live’ components, constructible processes on the job site, robotic implementations and scanning of these sites to control and deliver digital twins, etc. etc.

They never complain or discuss the future of charcoal or pencils😀

Remember, it’s not the tools that make a master or professional…

2 Likes

Hi,
Every pretended “new version” that trimble supplies make things worse and more and more problems appear while nothing indeed improved only let sketchup loyal users feel disgusting from the way to feel milked by trimble and for really no significant improvement back. But now I get smarter and decide to move to Rhino it is for far more powerful and at least they respect there long time users, almost all sketchup plugins are converted from Rhino. I will say STOP to trimble you Re a greedy crocks.
Google should never leaved sketchup to trimble.
Shame on Trimble.

1 Like

Hi, Rhino is your right alternative, by the way all sketchup plugins are converted from Rhino ( Mc neel).

How do you know that? Do you have an example “converted” plugin? Have you done it yet? Have you seen a man who did it?
How to do the conversion? I’m sincerely curious!

2 Likes

Regardless coding matter sketchup hasn t emplimented what call gumball tool in Rhino and native line profile in sketchup is still not correct or uncomplete

You just saying some “facts” without any evidence…

Check out vertex tools plugin - there is a kind of gumball tool.
IMVHO, That the nature of sketchup, the product can extended with some useful plugins, but on the other hand you can make your designs with the oob software too by using a really useful gui.
If you want more and use a complex gui, then select a other software…

Just my two (euro) cents.

2 Likes

I don’t really understand what you mean. I don’t know about Rhino. What is a “gumball” tool? What do you mean by “native line profile in sketchup”? How does this relate to converting plugins?

1 Like

Just google it .
For plugins it is a commands existing in rhino from decades

Thats make now clear, that your statement is not valid - just my impression.
Now that thread goes in the direction like the blender discussion- use rhino, its much better.
Simple answer: yes use rhino (noone is forcing you to use sketchup only), but do not ask for stuff used in rhino MUST be part of future releases of sketchup without a proper explanation.

3 Likes

I see now. The plugins can not be converted, as you stated. You were wrong when you said that.

1 Like

I am using sketchup from 2006, but because of Trimble polities and the way how there are doing nothing else let us leave I have decide to look away.

2 Likes

When I said Rhino there is a lot of features That i didnt mentioned to not tease or heart some users and sensible souls

1 Like