The Dreaded - Unexpected file format

I remember that the DC extension used to do that, or perhaps created a dictionary named nil. Was that fixed ?

I’ve not heard of that. If DC created attributes with nil or empty string in the attribute key then we’d seen a flood of corrupted models.

I know it did because I reported it, and also sent the report direct via email to scott.
This was back before the DC extension was moved out of the “Tools” folder.

It set the key to nil? Or dictionary name? We’ve only seen the key cause file corruption.

Some DC Instances have a Dictionary name of “” (empty string).

Keys I have seen in this empty dict are:

_last_lenx
_last_leny
_last_lenz

Yes, I think that is the issue, but it comes from the fact that it was ASSUMED (incorrectly,) that some class was inheriting an instance variable named @dictionary_name
, but it wasn’t, so when the call to set_attribute() was made, using the reference to the non-existent instance variable, (which returns nil,) the method just uses an empty string for the dictionary name.

If this dictionary is just used for temporary (previous) scale values, then it might not matter too much. However, it may mislead plugins that seek to read these values from a dictionary with the proper name.

The fix is easy. Copy the line

@dictionary_name = "dynamic_attributes"

into the initialize() method of the class(es) from which it is missing.
I cannot remember which one, but it may be one of the observers. (The DCObservers class may have it, but the other observers are not it’s subclasses, so do not inherit it.)

ADD: I think this was actually causing a scaling error, because the redraw functions expected the dictionary to be named correctly, but it isn’t. Thomas I think you are the one that filed this SC scaling error bug originally.

Hello, i´m having the same problem with a model ,i get a unexpected file message and i cant open the file, i also don´t find the skp file.
can someone help me please
thankyou

NUEVO PROYECTO LINEAL.skp (1.5 MB)

Hi there
I’ve recently upgraded from V8 to 2015 and discovered this ■■■■ “unexpected file format” message on attempting to open a couple of files which have consumed weeks of work to produce.
Is there any solution to solving this issue or am I condemned to trashing the lot and starting again?

Hello,

I am having a problem with the ‘unexpected file format’ message coming up!? It was working fine then the next day I try to open the file and it is not working.

Is there any chang you could take a look at the file and see if it is at all recoverable?!

http://we.tl/f2IB8p0rxF

Many thanks in advance!

Hello,

I am also experiencing this ‘unexpected file format’ message when I attempt to open my
SketchUp file and it is giving me quite the scare. Would anyone be willing to help?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B18tRnNLUxEBeGZMZHpTdW9Jb0E&usp=sharing

Thank you so much!
A sleep deprived college student.

@HTruong21, I was able to recover the data from Project_2_After.skb . I will send you a link for the recovered file soon.

Thank you so much Yogesh!!! You have no idea how much this means to me!

Hi Yogesh,

I would appreciate it if you could send me the file soon. I really need to work on it!

Hi Bugra - I got the same problem as Clayton with file not opening. Can you give me your email address so that I send you the corrupted file for repair?

I look forward to hear from you soonest.

Franky

Good day Yogesh,

I also have a similar problem, could I kindly request your saught after assistance:

The link contains the 2013 skp file with the “unexpected file format error” problem.

Anticipated your valued response in that regard.

@ Kketso, In general, chances of recovering such files are very low and it is strongly recommended for users to locate a working backup file or a previous version of the file and redo the work.

Anyways, please find the link of whatever we could recover. I hope this helps you continue your work!

1 Like

My file can not open help me please.

Recover and send to me please. Thank you.

Skb file