Texture changes position on corrugated object after adding window cutout, can't adjust it

As pictured below, I can’t get the texture on the right corrugated panel w/ window to look like the one on the left. I’ve tried applying both as a Group and on the surface in edit mode and anything else available (Reverse Faces, Orient Faces, Make Unique Texture,…). I also tried copying the one on the left but after creating the window cutout the texture reverts to the vertical w/ lines position. So I added the texture to a cube then selected w/ dropper and applied to corrugated object - still doesn’t work. I can’t use Texture>Position either, it’s not listed. Please, enlighten me. Obviously there’s something I’m missing/not understanding with the intuitive nature of SU Materials.

Explode groups. Set to default texture, then re-apply the material, resize, and use the eyedropper tool to copy it.

If you don’t want to explode groups, then i think there might be a menu item to solve that… Try reset scale.

You need to apply it as a surface texture. You can’t position a texture that’s applied to a group.

Sometimes all that doesn’t work though… In that case, you need to draw it again. Not the whole thing, just the part with the funky texture.

There’s probably an easier way, but just trying to help.

Explode what Group (object)? I tried that with the corrugated object w/ window, changed to default “white” texture, and then reapplied the texture and no difference. I’ve also tried to Reset Scale. The texture will not apply like the other object, nor cube, on this object w/ window cutout.

As stated, I’ve tried making a copy of the corrugated object that has the correctly applied texture (and that is a Group), but once I cutout the window opening it changes as pictured.

Addendum:

And why does it look this way when viewed from further away? It’s not touching the surface behind it. What’s the point of applying realistic textures if it doesn’t look real? Very frustrating.

Maybe thru-paint from fredo tools might help. It’s a texturing extension.

By any chance, is one a projected texture, while the other isn’t? Try making the cutout one a projected texture.

When you render it, those white lines should go away as long as there’s a distance between the surfaces.

If you want to simplify this, then you can just use a corrugated metal texture instead of 3d modeling all the little details. It’ll look more realistic in the SketchUp application view because you won’t have the white lines from close textures.
https://www.textures.com/download/metalplatespainted0234/120563?q=corrugated&filter=seamless

You could model the corrugated metal for a detail section in your plans.

This is getting absurd. Now I can’t access Textures>Position… with the one that was ok.

I tried Projected Texture on both. No change.

The whole reason I created actual corrugated objects is because the corrugated texture did not show up enough with exported 2D views (no rendering app). Boss not satisfied. :exploding_head:

If you post the file, then maybe someone can help. If the file size is too big, then you can upload it to the 3d warehouse temporarily.

There are loads of folks here who would be willing to help you sort out your problem if you’d share the file. I’d be one of them but I don’t have time to spend guessing at what you’ve done to make the texture behave as you describe. I think of a few possibilities but I’d want to see the file, first.

4 Likes

Texture positioning works only with single faces, not groups or components.
When you scale a group or component, and then “paint” it the texture is stretched. I would guess that this is what your images are showing.

I positioned the texture on the cube which is a Group and thought I had done the same with the corrugated object (also grouped) w/ correct texture.

I did not scale it. Again, the texture is fine on one object and not the one with window cutout.

I will post the objects asap.

I tried uploading the .skp file w/ only the 3 objects and the file is too big.

Perhaps you could delete some additional irrelevant parts of the model (edge-and-face geometry, or image textures) and Save-As to a new smaller file? Or upload it to a public file-sharing service?