Text mirrored on components

My suggestion would be to use a dimension instead of 3D text. The dimension line will be there, though.

2 Likes

Glued components seems to be very useful, but sadly badly exposed in the API so I haven’t been able to play much with it :confused: . Many times when you nest things, e.g. put cutlery inside of a table, gluing would be more appropriate as the cutlery should only move with the table, not be a part of the table. I wish we can some day use something like TT’s superglue to glue to components.

1 Like

Thank you Anssi, that does work. But for ease of use, I guess I’ll just stick with my mirrored text.

Why not add the text-tag and immediately copy it below the original, and then just flip that copy so that it is mirrored.
By doing that, then every instance will display a correct AND a mirrored version of the text.
So then there is no need to use ‘make_unique’ or mess on in otherways with any of the copies, even when they are mirrored etc…

2 Likes

Sorry. Late to the party. Too busy catching fish on a lake in northern Minnesota.

If I were doing what you show, I wouldn’t be adding the text as 3D Text in SketchUp. Instead I would add labels in LayOut using Auto-text. then there’s no need to be concerned with reversed text and needing to have a mirror in the shop. Maybe something like this.

1 Like

If the reason for the labels is to show in an annotated drawing, that is what I would do too, but I understand that c_j_ryan wants to see tha labels when navigating through his SU model.

1 Like

That’s exactly the case. And it only affects nine of the 78 components. So it’s much quicker even if there are nine that are mirrored.
But thanks everyone it opened my eyes to the different approaches there are.

You may know that with @Anssiś approach (using dimensions > replaced by text) you can dimension the base edge , having the dimension line coinside with that edge. Then replace the value by the multiline text: label [Enter] space [Enter] space [Enter] . [Enter] to get the text on line four above the dimension line. drawback is the little dot on line one.
This all used to be done (pre SU2019) with line feed: \n[Enter] and no dot visible.

Advantage: the text doesn’t mirror. (adjust the text to desired fixed height and font etc.)

1 Like

Again, I will certainly keep all of this insight in mind for the next time. At this point, my ten cabinets are cut, dadoed, rabbited and assembled awaiting face-frames.

Chris

1 Like

Not yet sold?

As a matter of fact they are. It’s a job for a customer.

2 Likes