Tekla TBP files

I am working with a steel fabricator who has started using Tekla BIM software. Tekla is a company within the Trimble family and is full 3D. Does anyone know if there is a way to import TBP files into SU?

At present, the fabricators export to DWG and I import from that. But one of the problems is that the DWGs have a single layer so even the text boxes look like linework. In any case, it seems daft to go from 3D to 2D and then back to 3D if you can avoid it.

I think you mean Tekla.

Thanks for the correction. I must have been looking at a Nissan Leaf at the wrong moment!

Edited now.

I may have answered my own question. I have come across this advice: https://teklastructures.support.tekla.com/200/en/int_exporting_to_sketchup

So it would seem that although I cannot import a Tekla file directly, a Tekla user should be able to export in the SU format. We shall see.

If a Tekla user cannot export to SKP directly, he/she can export to IFC that you can import into SU.

I would assume Trimble Connect can handle this.

2 Likes

You don’t want to cope with an imported Tekla ifc file in Sketchup.
The way it is importing simular geometry components as unique definitions is bloating the component browser, where instead, they could be instances of the same beams.

That is, sort of, what happens when importing IFC to any application. Despite this, I have used imported Tekla structures without problems in Archicad. In SketchUp you always have the option of exploding the import to get rid of excess components.

Hi Simon,

Your client have supplied the discontinued file version (tbp) which is now discontinued.

Anyways, I can help you with the file which will be importable in SU.

Dinesh