Tapping iOS "Delete" while in a text field deletes selected entities

I’ve been using SketchUp for iPad on a new iPad Pro with Apple Pencil 2 and loving it. It will take a bit of time to get fully at home, but I already often find it more intuitive than working in SketchUp desktop.

I have run into one consistent and repeatable bug, however. When editing text in a field tapping the iOS “delete” option will get rid of the selected item rather than the selected text. I’ve seen this in both the Entity Info panel and the Make Component panel. It happens whether I try with fingers or with the Apple Pencil.

To reproduce:

1. Tap on an entity.
  2. Enter text in Entity Info name field.
  3. Select any amount of the text to get the iOS black text-editing commands popup.
  4. Tap the “Delete” command.
    BOOM - the entity is now gone.

Great work so far! I look forward to updates!

-eric

Thanks @EricB for the kind words. I appreciate you taking the time to report this issue and offer such a detailed write-up. Based on the info you provided, I was able to reproduce what you’re seeing and I’ve filed the issue in our systems.

Great!

Years of working in software development taught me about the value of including steps-to-reproduce in a bug report.

@EricB Quick update here to close the loop on the bug you reported. Today’s 6.1.2 release of SU for iPad includes a fix for this issue. We think we’re now properly handling Cut/Copy/Delete commands such that the iOS text menu applies only to the text, not the items in the model.

(One remaining nit is that the Select All command will still sometimes result in selecting all the items in the model, vs selecting all the text.)