Tag Folders and Tag names

Thanks. :+1: I checked first. I’m documenting a completed project with no raw geometry.

Is ALL raw geometry in components and groups untagged?

That’s a stroke of luck. Select All was top level only.
Everything - raw geometry, nested components and groups - remained “Untagged”. :sunglasses:

1 Like

As a former framing contractor, I can see that studs at foundation level are unique relative to studs at other levels. I would use a double name tag, such as Fndtn Studs, L1 Studs, L2 studs, Dormer Studs, Attic Studs, etc.

A concept that I thought of when making my tagging structure (my structure is very similar to Mike Brightmans of Condoc).

Always ask yourself this question when making your own tagging structure:

Whether your system is complex or simple, always ask if your process is serving you and find any unnecessary redundancies and remove them.

Each tag should serve a purpose and 1 tag should do as much work as possible for as many objects as possible. The idea is to have as few tags as you possibly need. For me, I have more tags than most designers might think I need, but the reason I have as many tags as I do is so that I can automate my Layout process to do the work for me and show the end product how I want it to be shown in a detailed way. This means in Layout I don’t have to dash things in, or show floor cantilevers in a different colour for clairty, etc, because I use tags to accomplish this, when my model in sketchup is organized, Layout, through the use of viewport stacking - Layout already has most of my document drawings prepared just how I want them.

You need tags so that you can use scenes effectively, or so that you can use layout to automate your workflow by using scene overlays (viewport stacking only showing or hiding certain tags in a stack to create a single drawing, for example a roof above, 2d objects in a certain style, etc). If you aren’t using tags for one of those things, or both, than you either have too many tags, or not enough.