Surface does not remain with component after Intersect face

I’m using intersect face to miter to different size bench seats. After I delete the cutoffs and turn the layer off that contains the seat that I’m working on, the surface that should be the face of the miter stays visible.Hearth Short 2.skp (61.8 KB)

You have got primitive geometry inside components associated with layers other than layer0. This is messing up when things are or are not visible.

Is there a way to find the extraneous stuff and delete it? I don’t see any.

The general consensus is to have all raw geometry on layer 0. and only elect other layers to components and groups.

You have raw geometry within the Seat large component allotted to Seat large layer with the component allotted to layer 0 this leads to difficult to mange drawings when turning layers on and off,

it is best to move the raw geometry to layerO, and work only in layer0

I’m new to SU. I’ll try that.
Thanks

Can I ask how you find that information and is it possible to move it back?
I have been having trouble keeping layer0 on , it seems to get deselected once in awhile.

You are likely inadvertently clicking the little circle to the left of a layer name in the layers window. That will make it “active”, causing any new geometry you draw to be associated with it.

One way to fix the layering inside a component is to open it for edit, triple-click to select everything, and then in the entity info window’s layers field select layer0. There are also plugins that can do this single-click and also TIG’s excellent layers watcher plugin that helps you not to make this mistake in the first place.

I appears that some of the geometry won’t go back to layer0. Is it possible that I’ll have to rebuild those?

Sometime, not every time, the follow me tool works very well. This may be one of those times.

Here’s the model with the follow me produced group.
Hearth Short 2 ss.skp (68.2 KB)

SS

There is no such thing as “won’t go back to layer0”, so please explain what technique you attempted and someone can probably point out where you went astray.

Not sure if it is obvious but the bench seats are different depths. Short is 20" and the long is 24". The miter is not 45 deg. Can’t tell from your gif if you were able to model that.

I’m new to SU. I was told that I have geometry on the wrong layers which is causing problems and I’m trying to fix that. I think I’m using layers in way there were not intended to be used. I’m researching that now. I’m using them to turn Geometry on and off to allow visibility to other geometry that I’m working on.

Ooops, no, I didn’t notice that.
A quick move may solve the problem though.

Shep

That’s pretty cool! I’ve spent many hours trying to find a good technique to miter various ends. They all require multiple steps. This makes me think that follow me better even is if creates extra geometry that has to be deleted.

It’s amazing what you can find in the SketchUp Help Center. Look at this on Layers.

This may be off topic but… How do you split the part at the miter to make a gap? It needs to be constructed with a seam and or metal plate. This is the problem I ran into when trying to miter by cutting the part.

I’m not sure I’m following here, do you mean something like a control joint?

S

When you’ve been using layers for years you think you know to use them. New program, new approach to layers.

it might get a steel blade type bracket that’s mounted to the wall so the miter would have to be open that much. The Ell would have to be two parts.

I’d model the plate/bracket, place it in the correct location, and use it (or faces extended from it) for generating the miter.