I’ve been doing a lot of browsing here, and have discovered more that a few valuable pieces of information - particular on quirks, pitfalls, and "gotcha"s - particularly in SU, but elsewhere as well.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have a place where we can gather these together, a place where newbies can easily navigate to discover these gems of SU wisdom, a place where old hands can record these gems?
Then it hit me - that navigation is already there - almost!
Proposal: Add one more “tag” that can be applied to ANY post: “Lesson Learned”
How would should we use it? Well, here’s a few that I’d like to see:
- What is the “.001” problem? I’ve seen it mentioned in a few different contexts, but I’ve (yet) to see a clear statement of the problem.
- How to put angle brackets “<” and “>” in the text displayed in a Component Options box. (I’m prepping some quick, small, screencasts to illustrate the answer)
- Why it’s a bad idea to move geometry off Layer0. (Yes, I know this is covered in SU Help, but it isn’t clear there - as evidenced by the repeated help requests here that ultimately turn out to be due to a misunderstanding of how SU uses Layers.)
- How to embed small screencasts in forum posts
By adding “Lesson Learned” as a tag, newbies could find this distilled essence of our collective knowledge quite easily, by pulling down the “all tags” button either at the top level or within a category and selecting “Lesson Learned”.
The should probably be a screening process before a topic can be “blessed” with the “Lesson Learned” tag. I don’t know enough about Discourse to know if the process below is possible, but I envision it going something like:
- The author puts “[Proposed Lesson Learned]” at the beginning of the Topic Title and puts it out - in the appropriate category - for review
- Approval path 1: 20 “likes” by lower level users (Level 0 and 1)
- Approval path 2: 10 “likes” by Level 2 users, aka "SketchUpper"s
- Approval path 3: 3 “Likes” by SketchUp Sages or SketchUp Team Members
- once any of the above paths are achieved, the topic gets the “[Proposed Lesson Learned]” removed from the Topic Title and has the “Lesson Learned” tag applied.
As I said, I don’t know if Discourse allows a process such as I describe above, at least not without customization. It’s just what I envision. I’d be satisfied with any appropriate, clearly defined mechanism.
What do Y’all think?