SU2017 New Install with Load Errors on Plugins

rbe

Thanks. I’ll try that again. I’m a Linux professional, and am just learning
about Microsoft ACLs. What are “reasonable” permissions?

Steve

C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\Shipped Extensions permissions:
Allow TrustedInstaller: Full Control: This folder & subfolders
Allow SYSTEM: Full Control: This folder, subfolders, & files
Allow Administrators: Full Control: This folder, subfolders, & files
Allow Users: Traverse folder/exec file, List Folder/Read data, Read attrs, Read Extended Attrs, Read perms: This folder, subfolders, & files
Allow CREATOR OWNER: Full Control: subfolders & files only
Allow ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES: Traverse folder/exec file, List Folder/Read data, Read attrs, Read Extended Attrs, Read perms: This folder, subfolders, & files

C:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\Shipped Extensions\su_advanced_cameratools permissions:
Allow TrustedInstaller: Full Control: This folder & subfolders
Allow Users: Traverse folder/exec file, List Folder/Read data, Read attrs, Read Extended Attrs, Read perms: This folder, subfolders, & files
Allow CREATOR OWNER: Full Control: subfolders & files only
Allow ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES: Traverse folder/exec file, List Folder/Read data, Read attrs, Read Extended Attrs, Read perms: This folder, subfolders, & files

C:\Users\skelem\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp:

Allow skelem: Full Control: This folder, subfolders, & files
C:\Users\skelem\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018:

C:\Users\skelem\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins\su_advanced_cameratools permissions:

I just re-installed Windows 10 and re-installed (as Administrator) SketchUp 2018.

SketchUp 2018 STILL GETS THE SAME ERRORS! WTF???

I tried installing nVidia’s latest drivers, uninstalling SketchUp 2018, rebooting, installing SketchUp 2018 (as Administrator, which is the only way I’ll be installing, unless I hear otherwise), and I still get the same load errors on startup. There is no option to update the extensions, anywhere, only to uninstall them.

I even tried re-installing Windows 10! Still the same load errors! (That took me 6 hours, including having to reinstall all the other software that I use. I tested the SketchUp 2018 installation before installing all the other stuff that I need to run, so they weren’t the problem.)

I ran SU2018-Checkup, and it said:
Results:

Success: System RAM requirement has been met!
Success: Operating system version requirement has been met!
Success: Graphics card OpenGL requirement has been met!
Success: Graphics card RAM requirement has been met!
Success: Graphics card Hardware Acceleration requirement has been met!
Success: Graphics card capability tests have passed.

Congratulations, your computer has met all the minimum requirements to run SketchUp 2018.

Steve

One step that wasn’t fully explained…

When you install SketchUp you must find its Installer’s EXE file,:select it > right-click > context-menu >
“Run as administrator”

If it’s already installed choose “Repair” when prompted, otherwise choose “Install”

Installing a complex application [like SketchUp] in any other way can result in all sorts of unexpected and unpredictable problems…
Never, choose to ‘Run’ it or double-click the installer’s icon - even if you have admin-powers the outcome will never be exactly the same…

I created a Temp user with admin privileges, installed SketchUp 2018 (as Administrator…) and it works without error for the Temp user! I then logged out and back into my account. I get the same Load Errors for the plugins!

I created a 2nd Temp user without admin privileges, and it can run SketchUp 2018 without the Load Errors!??!

I compared permissions on C:\Users{me,temp,temp2}\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018… and the permissions are identical across all three accounts!

Just to be clear, when I look at permissions, I right-click a folder, select Properties, Security Tab, Advanced, Permissions tab. All the folders under C:\Users{me,temp,temp2}\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\ have:
Allow SYSTEM Full control
Allow Administrators Full control
Allow Full control

To be clear, when I say “install as Administrator”, I mean right-click->Run as administrator. Every time I said it.

So,

• I’ve eliminated (I think) the problem being one of not having the prerequisite software installed.
  • SketchUp 2018 works on a temp account with and without Administrator privileges.
  • The permissions on AppData\Roaming\SketchUp are Full Control for SYSTEM, Administrator, and my account, no matter which profile I examine.

Where else should I look? Where could the problem be? Could it be something in the Registry? If so, where should I look?

Under the theory that the registry key Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER applies to just me and not any other users, I searched and found
Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018

I was going to delete it, after uninstalling SketchUp 2018. However, after uninstalling, that key was no longer there. So, if there’s a remnant of SketchUp in the registry that’s keeping it from working for me, that’s not where it is, and SketchUp dutifully recreates it, not when installed, but when run from my account. This makes sense, because when I created the other fake user, it couldn’t possibly have the SketchUp keys, but they were created when SketchUp was run from that account.

Still stumped…-(

Another, very likely, possibility is that the Load Error is incorrectly and insufficiently describing the problem that’s occurring. I’ve seen plenty of code that doesn’t catch and/or report errors very thoroughly because the programmers don’t usually focus on those rarely-occurring events.

Because the file permissions for my plugins appear to be the same as in the Temp account I created, I don’t think that file permissions are the culprit.

Because SU works on the Temp account, I don’t think it’s a library (such as Visual C++) missing or not the right version. I think this also rules out the installation process.

I think there’s some remnant or interaction in my profile (registry) that’s not on the newly-created Temp account.

I gave up. I wiped my hard drive and re-created my account and reinstalled everything.

estou tendo esse erro e nao consigo arrumar…

Erro ao carregar o arquivo C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/testup/testup.rb
Error: #<SyntaxError: C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/testup/testup.rb:37: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_then or ';' or '\n'
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/testup/testup.rb:45: syntax error, unexpected ':', expecting keyword_then or ';' or '\n'>
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/ruby/devl_setup.rb:13:in `require'
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/ruby/devl_setup.rb:13:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/ruby/devl_loader.rb:12:in `require'
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools/ruby/devl_loader.rb:12:in `<top (required)>'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `require'
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in `load'
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools.rb:26:in `register_extension'
C:/Users/Usuário/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-developer-tools.rb:26:in `<top (required)>'

@andesarquitetura - you have installed the old TestUp version, part of the obsolete Developer Tools package. It is not compatible with anything from SketchUp 2014 or newer.

Uninstall that obsolete version and install the latest: https://github.com/SketchUp/testup-2/releases

(Worth checking compatibility description before installing extensions.)