Sticking extrusions

Hi all. I’m extruding a skirting board profile around my drawn walls. It looks great. however if I hide the skirting boards via tagging or group and hide, the bottom of the wall disappears. If I group the walls I can’t select the bottom edges as follow me path. I have also tried grouping the profile before extrusion but the follow me tool won’t select the profile at all after this any ideas??

If you spend some time at The Learning Center, you will learn how to use the tools to get what you want. (interactive tutorials) Also, go to The SketchUp YouTube Channel and pay attention to the Square One series. Both are sponsored by the SketchUp Crew and well worth the time spent there.

You can use copy and paste in place to extract the ‘Path’ from within a group, note it doesn’t need to be the bottom edge.
Follow me will work on a ‘Profile’ that is contained within a group, you need to select the path, then the follow me tool, at which point the path will appear to deselect but it is remembered by the tool, then right click on the group and open for edit, then click the face of the profile. Done.

Thanks guys I’ve achieved what I wanted for the moment. I have only been using SU for 2 weeks now but feel I am making good progress and feel encouraged by the quick responses from the forums and the official you tube sketchup team ( I never new a 3d mouse existed !?!?)

1 Like