Stamping or numbering tool in Lay out

Yeah, I did consider that too, but that would have been too easy! I could add that too when I have time.

Number Components 1.0.3

If you want a space between the text and the number, type a space at the end of the “Text Prefix” text field.

Cut the “Component Numbers” Group from the outliner then paste(or paste-in-place) it in whatever context you want.

GM_NumberComponent_1_0_3.rbz (5.4 KB)

Edit: Slight problem with 1.0.2, try 1.0.3.

5 Likes

LOL. That was too easy?

Do you need a tougher challenge?

What if your plugin also would name the components according to the numbering?

There’s a component definition name, that obviously can’t change,and then there’s a component name which coukd be affected by your plugin.

This would allow us to use Layout auto text tags (which do export to CAD) if we wanted…

Anyway, great job! Will try it asap.

1 Like

Number Components 1.0.4

I’ve added an option to place the text in the name of the component instance. It either places text as 3D text OR renames the component instance / group. If you want both, run it again with the other setting.

GM_NumberComponent_1_0_4.rbz (6.0 KB)

5 Likes

Excellent Work McGordon!

Works like a charm… You are making this look so easy! Here are a couple more small challenge for you.

#1 In the direction field, would it be possible to add an option where we could choose the sequencing to start vertically top-bottom or bottom-top and then left-right or right-left, so it could look like this or reverse or any direction.

and while we (you) are at it, maybe like this (which is often requested)

#2 Would it be possible to start the sequencing at any given numbers. like 10 or 100

Again this is great and I hope i’m not pushing my luck with these 2 challenges…

Keep up the good work

S

thanks for the good idea, the plugin works really well, but … Is it possible to stamp the component definition text? and put the text on Component’s surface

All these ideas are possible, it will just take a bit of organising in the dialog box to stop it getting too messy.

@Syl
#1a Yeah, why not. It will be quite a few options with sorting first by top->bottom, bottom->top, left->right, right->left, plus the second sort in two directions; 8 possibilities, I think.
#1a I’m not sure what you’d call #1b with the numbers snaking up and down, but it could be done.
#2 Yes, just needs yet another text field.

@IA6598
Yes, it’s possible to take the component definition name and add a number after it.

1 Like

Number Components 1.0.5
Added option “Definition n” which uses the component’s definition name as the prefix, followed by the number. A component with definition name “Door” would be numbered “Door 1”, “Door 2”, etc.

Extension is now signed:

GM_NumberComponent_1_0_5.rbz (12.4 KB)

5 Likes

To door and window, it might be appropriate to number the same components with the same number.
For example, all “Door 80” components would have the same number.
I do not know if I was clear.
Congratulations on your skill, and thank you.

1 Like

Is it in 3D warehouse and Sketchucation? It should be publicly available as it’s very very useful!

@RodolfoST
I see what you mean, just stamp the definition name without numbering each instance selected. This could be useful, but it would break the name of the extension as it wouldn’t be doing any numbering!

@JQL
Thanks. I mean to do that soon. I only got my Extension Warehouse account 2 days ago after a long wait. I wouldn’t have been able to publish them there when this thread started, but I can try now.

1 Like

Why don’t you try Sketchucation extwnsion store too. It’s the place where most plugin developers grew from.

Ah… Would it be possible to adapt it to numbering faces. I’d use it to count steps on stairs that I didn’t model as components.

1 Like

Me too, at least for now.

Number Components is now available for free on the Extension Warehouse.

http://extensions.sketchup.com/en/node/5321

Note that the version number has gone back to 1.0.0 even though it is newer than all the versions posted in this thread.

Demo video on youtube:

I’ve added more features since the last version posted here. Most of the numbering direction suggestions have been added, except @Syl’s snake up and down one.

Use Numbering “Definition only (no numbering)”

Thanks to everyone here for the ideas!

2 Likes

Their ability is very promising.
Who knows in another plugin …
Instead of the number, could it be the area of multi-selected faces? Like the rooms of a house, for example?
Thanks!!!

That is a tough one for areas of a house. Rarely you have a face in the model that represents them as floors might be split for different materials or some wardrobes.

So what I do is create a group in my sectioncutface that has all area shapes as I want them and I show/hide it through layer system.

Then I retrieve areas from Layout’s Autotext Label tool.

Nice Mc Gordon,

This is great. I will be on the look out for the “snaking up” option. In the mean time, I will be using the “Flip Along” option. Flipping groups on a line or column and then re-flipping each number individually! Done with the help of keyboard shortcut is still a lot faster than numbering one by one!

Thanks again

The “snaking” up and down option has been added. Set “Flip Alternate Rows” to “Yes” to get numbering like this:

Version 1.0.1 is available now on the extension warehouse:

https://extensions.sketchup.com/en/content/number-components

If you’re updating from the previous version, restart SketchUp after updating to access the new version.

It’s a little bit faster too.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.