Splitting workspace

I am using Sketchup 2017 Make. I have two buildings in my project.
Would there be any advantage to putting each building on a separate scene?.
I am looking at process/graphics performance.

You can use separate scenes but the more appropriate thing would be to assign different layer tags to each building group/component and then turn off the visibility for the layer/tag you don’t need to see.

It might be worth going through your model and getting rid of layer/tags you don’t really need. It looks like a number of them have come in with components you’ve collected from the 3D Warehouse and while they might be useful with the component as the only thing in the model, they probably aren’t needed in your use of them.

FWIW, I did a little cleanup of your model.

It’s a good idea to make sure to keep Layer 0 assigned to all edges and faces.
Screenshot - 7_26_2020 , 7_58_24 PM

And also purge unused stuff from the model.
Screenshot - 7_26_2020 , 8_02_49 PM

FWIW, I ran CLeanUp3 and then purged unused again.

Screenshot - 7_26_2020 , 8_23_14 PM

Screenshot - 7_26_2020 , 8_23_45 PM

New at this game. Currently, I have a layer for all “shop Power equipment”. Are you suggesting I create a shop layer and then put the Shop Power equipment layer in the Shop layer?

Also, I have tried install Cleanup3 and got an error saying TT_lib needed. When I tried to install that I got an error saying the TT-LIb was not compatible with either the OS or Sketchup.

I have gone to Statistics and tried to purge unused. Not getting anything purged.

Thanks

You could select the entire shop building and all of its contents and make a group and then assign a “Shop” layer to that group. Then you can make the entire shop and it’s contents invisible while working on the house. You could do the same with the House and its contents so you can make the house invisible while working on the shop.

By the way, in SketchUp you don’t put anything on or in a layer. Layers (Tags in SU2020) are just tags for controlling the visibility property of groups and components. Layers/Tags given to groups and components.

TT-Lib should work with your version of Windows and with SU2017. I wonder if you installed SketchUp correctly? If you didn’t there could be some permissions issues that relate to installing extensions.

I’d bet it is purging stuff. The native Purge Unused does not give the report that I showed. I used TIG’s Purge All from SketchUcation which does the same thing as Purge Unused but it provides that report. I use it to show what has been purged.

FWIW, I unlocked a bunch of components and I’m re-running CleanUp 3. It’s been going for over 20 minutes and is still running.

OK appreciate the effort :grinning: :grinning:

I will work at make the changes when you are done…thanks

It finally completed.
Screenshot - 7_26_2020 , 9_21_22 PM

FWIW, there are some modeling things where you could improve efficiency and help your model behave better. For example, you could use a texture instead of all those holes.

I’ve been poking at your model some more. I found you’ve got the model positioned at a distance from the origin and the axes moved. Is that intentional?

There’s also a lot of duplicated materials–probably brought in with components from the Warehouse. You’d get better performance if you eliminated the duplicates.

I found how to reset the origin and move the project…

Did you right click on an axis line and choose reset?

I installed the Purge program you suggested. Tested and it works.

Thanks

1 Like

“It might be worth going through your model and getting rid of layer/tags you don’t really need. It looks like a number of them have come in with components you’ve collected from the 3D Warehouse and while they might be useful with the component as the only thing in the model, they probably aren’t needed in your use of them”

Can you Explain a little more… on removing materials. I am looking at “Outliner”… I see multiple items in a group i.e. 7" Wood Screw clamp… I downloaded one copy and created copies… ???

Thanks
Skip…

I was referring to Materials, not components which you’ll see in Outliner.

This is a screen shot showing the In Model materials from your file. I’ve outlined a bunch in red which are all effectively the same material. Some have minor color edits but they are really the same material. There are more examples of that throughout the collection. That’s typical when inserting different models/components from the 3D Warehouse without going editing them to eliminate unneeded materials.

The challenge now is consolidating them to make the model more manageable because you have to hunt through the model to figure out where they are used. This is generally much easier to deal with if you download components into a separate file and make the edits there before adding them to your main project.

You could also take a critical look at the components you have added to your model and consider what value if any the details bring to your overall project. For example, do you need the labels on the machines? What about things like the nuts on the ends of the grinding wheels inside the covers? The trunion assembly on the white Grizzly bandsaw or the excessive detail in the mortiser? Is the circuit board on the CNC router adding something useful to your project? You get to make the decision on that kind of stuff. Personally I don’t see how that adds anything useful to your overall shop layout. That stuff does add to the file size, though, and since you seem to be concerned about performance, one thing you can do is reduce the file size by eliminating unneeded detail.

I went ahead and removed some of those details and purged unused again. This much more stuff went away.
Screenshot - 7_27_2020 , 4_30_40 PM

CleanUp3 is running nowbut appears to have some time to go.

1 Like

Thanks for all the help… I am learning more everyday…

Skip…

You’ve probably realised already, Dave is a superstar!! :crazy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.