Split curved surface in equal parts

Hello all!
Im about to make nice and realistic plywood edge for chair seat. In order to do I have to split my edge in kinda slices so I can apply two different colours to make it realistic. Anyone know how to do that?

QuadFace Tools
pli-02
or you can use a texture instead of creating new geometry.

thanks for a reply, the thing is that I have to follow all curves of the edge with that texture, and that kinda difficult…

Are you sure? :wink: Thanks to Fredo.

pli-03

The first one is something Im looking for, thank you, but what was very first step, where mesh of squares was created?

Is this done by Fedo DIVIDE EDGES?

There are several methods, this is one of them (with CLF Shape Bender and Fredo JPP)
pli-04

1 Like

No, i mean those dotted lines, how do you get them?
Capture1

@mihai.s has Hidden Geometry turned on (View menu).

1 Like

Im about to make nice and realistic plywood edge for chair seat. In order to do I have to split my edge in kinda slices so I can apply two different colours to make it realistic. Anyone know how to do that?

@mihai.s provided some very informative GIFs showing the entire process of creating the compound curved seat.
Once the basic seat is created, another option to make laminations for texturing. Edit the seat, select the vertical edge, context click and select “divide” using two red dots to divide into three, select the top face, then move copy down 2x. Now you can add your wood textures to each lamination of the seat.

hey, it looks very good, but how I can add more edges, I have one so far, but have to add 8?!

Type the number from numpad

but you should use texture than to add so much unnecessary geometry.

1 Like

juhū, it worked!

Somehow it doesnt work out here… what could be wrong?

Select all the edges in that direction/plan, as you can see in my first gif.

The thing is that I cant select any of those lines in the block (selected entity - 128 faces), just in between… may be there is a way to simplify it?

Take a look at the first gif I showed you and see how you select the edges.

tes-08

And also do a search on YouTube and learn from the tutorials how to use an extension.

I suspect one of your issue is that QFT will only work on quad geometry and your model doesn’t look like it is.
You would probably find it easier to simply copy the top edge down. If the faces are straight you can just do an array using the move tool, copy top to bottom and use 8/ to make 8 copies between top and bottom.