Split build plates

Many times on thingiverse people will try and be nice by grouping many objects in a build plate. More often than not this doesn’t work for me because their build plate is a different size or I just don’t want to print all the objects at once.

What I have been doing is in sketchup I right click a piece pick select all connected, then choose export stl from the file menu, name the file, choose a location…

Is there a better way to do this in sketchup?

Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure I understand your question, but that’s never stopped me from trying to help people :wink:

There are a number of ways to select things from a layout of many. If you turn off perspective view and view everything from above, you can use the bounding box method (or any other select method) while holding down the Ctrl or Shift key. The Shift key allows you to add / subtract from your selections while the Ctrl key limits to only adding a selection. When you’ve selected everything you want, you can then use the Export STL option with the checkbox marked to use your selected objects. Alternately, you can rearrange the objects into a group of just those you want for your build plate … when selected and exported, they will remain in the build plate layout you dictated.

Thanks for the info that did help me figure out how to select multiple objects but what I want is for each object to be a separate stl. If I select mutiple objects then export to stl it makes all the selected objects one stl.

I am printing this item for instance T-Rex by elliotracer - Thingiverse So to get all the objects broken out individually I had to select one part and export to stl 27 times which is tedious. Just trying to find a more automated way to do it.