Speed of Layout

These are “airspeed of a swallow” questions for me, I’m afraid (MP & Holy Grail ref). But they are useful as things to test out, so thank you.

I can say that I usually work in Hybrid mode and that I never change the font, so it will be the default.

It may be that it used to happen occasionally in earlier versions of LO but I think it must be more regular now for me to notice it enough to annoy me.

I must test this too. Most of my text entries are labels as I go round drawings adding notes to specific things shown.

if it’s ’ Verdana’ or ‘Tahoma’ do you actually have it on your mac…

they are Windows fonts that only come bundled with the desktop version of Word…

if not in your Font Book font substitution will be happening…

john

It’s Verdana and it is in my Font Book.

From all my previous posts concerning running Layout on a Mac, I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s the way Layout runs on a Mac. No idea why, but they just don’t seem to like each other.

Layout on my new super quick iMac runs slower than on my 3 year old MacBook Pro, with a lower spec.

That’s what I did @simoncbevans. Bought a new iMac and then held my breath hoping Sketchup 2019 would solve the issue I had. It didn’t. All I’m hoping is that the Sketchup Team spend no time this year developing Sketchup, and all the time developing and improving Layout.

2 Likes

The change log for the Web version allready shows three bugfixes and two entries since the release of version 2019…

No maintenance releases for desktop version, yet. @jbacus ?

1 Like

yes it runs like a dog on a Mac.
Ive got a beast of a machine and it runs like molasses.
It mostly affects documents rendered in Hybrid mode (which is really the only suitable rendering mode for crisp detailed drawings). For some reason even if LayOut is not doing anything (and CPU utilisation is negligible) the UI slows to a crawl - clicking, selecting, drawing simple shapes, moving a box, entering text etc

Do you think developers know? Seems very odd that Macs, that have long been known as the go to machine for anything graphic, should fall down on this.

I should think so… there is abeast of a thread here with some involvement from SketchUp Team.
Although not necessarily Mac specific.

Trust me, we know and we dislike it as much as everyone else. We are investigating many different areas where LayOut performance could be improved, but I’m not allowed to make any promises about future releases.

Adam

6 Likes

I get something like that in Windows at work when I have an OpenGL-using application (Archicad) open on a 4K monitor and I use, for instance, Word or a browser in a window on top of that - the display slows down noticeably.

Excellent. So I’m assuming we can expect a Maintenance release/upgrade sometime soon? :grinning:

Hi @adam

Is there any news and development in this?

To use a metaphor, using Sketchup is like running the 100m in 5 seconds, only to then be running through 10m deep treacle at the end when I then switch to Layout.

Mike

3 Likes

There is nothing more that I can say at this time.

We hear you, and share your pain.

Adam

1 Like

I’ve found that for my 2D vector drawings, patterns of any sort slow things considerably - I put them on their own layer and turn them off until I’m ready to output - it’s the difference between smooth scrolling and zooming and waiting for something to happen. Changing the display resolution from High to Low on the other hand has little or no effect.

I do not think it is your computer. Mine is quite new and had no problems with 2018. 2019 starts slower, changed styles slower, updates view ports slower and inserts images slower. I have only used it for a couple of days and am already frustrated. I am using a small file, fast computer. Is it just me or is Sketch up getting worse with every update?

I can’t even change pages without waiting for 5 minutes. What is going on?

I tried Layout 2019 on my i7 3770. Maybe little bit old but still really fast CPU according to me. But Layout optimization is silly. I gave a try with newer CPU i7 6770K. It is little bit better, but still with more complicated project it is going to be slow. On MAC it is only worse.

Hear me out Trimble! Do something with it!

I tried better organizing project, grouping, changing styles… everything. Even when i disabled auto-rendering. The most problematic for me is snapping to edges (zooming too). When i dragging any object with intention put it aligned to some edge it is so slow that i cant align it properly. Same with dimmensioning. I wasting time with it.

I cant understand it. I was reasonable patient. I waited and listen promises from 2016. This happens with Layout 2018 and 2017 also. I must say, with every new version is Layout slower. More and more! There is many statement - performance optimisation, but in real world there is just more slowness.

So i thinking… is there some oficial recommendation on CPU, for example what CPU instrucions are mandatory or any official statement on performance workflow?

According to me it should be smooth. Even my CPU is only 20% used and evenly distributed on threads. 10GB free RAM. GPU is powerfull enough, I have GTX 1070 and the latest drivers (task manager shows 1% of usage). So… what can i do?