Has anyone had any issues with drawing accuracy in Layout? I’m trying my best to do most of my drawing in Raster mode, because Vector mode is agonizingly slow. I’ve dimensioned a fairly complicated floor plan in Raster, then changed it to Vector, only to realize that a lot of the dimension strings don’t line up with the points in the viewport. Same thing happens with some linework, such as adding windows as lines, at openings. Even tracing a model image of eaves in a viewport is a little messy.
One other thing I keep running into, is the Layout viewport unlinking from the model. Happens quite often. Very frustrating.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I’ve not had either of the problems you report. Regarding the dimensions, do you have Gid Snapping and/or Object Snapping enabled?
I’ve not had any problems with viewports become inlinked. Are you still using SketchUp/LayOut 2018 as your profile indicates?
Just Object snapping enabled.
I’m using version 22, haven’t updated!
Can you share an example file?
Can’t send the Layout file, seems even a slimmed down version is too big(29MB).
Upload to dropbox or similar and post a link here.
Does the use of Raster or Vector have any effect on snaps or dimension in LayOut?
Changed the viewport to vector and it’s super fast for me - no problems with accuracy…
I got called away last night and just now getting back to the computer.
I see a number of places in the plan view where there are points fairly close together that, due to the lower resolution of Raster rendering, are difficult to separate so a dimension could easily get attached to the wrong point. As Paul wrote, Vector rendering in your file is very fast so there’s really no reason not to use it.
Keep in mind that your SketchUp model file is part of the LayOut file so purging unused stuff from the SketchUp model will help to reduce the LayOut file size. There’s a bunch of stuff to purge in your model, see below, but it won’t affect the file size enough to make it directly uploadable here. Seems like you have managed to keep the file under control pretty well.
Result of purging:
It only reduced the SketchUp file size by about 1 Mb.
I also noticed some incorrect tag usage. Might have come in with components from the 3DWH. I didn’t dig to find out.
Might want to fix the scene called Detail-4. You shouldn’t be able to see the green axis in that scene.
Also you might want to investigate those areas in your sections where you are seeing the blue back faces instead of the section fill color.
Thanks for the replies!
Working in Vector, is still slow, for me at least(zooming in and out is the worst). Could be my expectations, idk, but raster is very fast. My son uses a variety of drawing/ drafting programs, and pretty much says the same thing about raster: the low resolution is sometimes an issue, especially if the model is detailed. Never a problem in Vector.
On the smaller Details, I usually turn off the section fill, as I want to see the structure. I usually trace over the viewport drawing to get the right line weights and fill color/ pattern, takes a bit more time, but worth it to me.
I guess the answer is to grin and bear it(dimension in Vector): This is the always the time in the process where I complain the most about speed, probably won’t change.
Any ideas on the unlinking?
You might look at changing the Scroll Speed in LayOut’s Preferences>General. That may help.
Make sure you aren’t trying to dimension between the model and the traced linework. If you are adding the linework in LO, do it on a separate layer and use Scaled Drawing so the scale matches the scale of the viewport.
It might be worth exploring the options available with the Dashes feature in the SketchUp Model panel. Here’s an example from a file I happened to have open in LO.
The lines for the viewport are set to 2 point. I changed the lineweight for the curved back leg to 4 point. It’s hard to tell in the screenshot so I also made those lines red.
Might be that you don’t need to do any tracing at all. Or maybe you could leverage stacked viewports in combination with the tag visibility and line weight/style settings.
As for theunlinking, I haven’t seen that at all in my files. The only time I’ve personally seen it in files from others was attributed to user error. I think, though, that Colin reported there is some Mac-only issue that might be getting a fix.
Wow, scroll speed, definitely helped!
The issue with linking only started during this particular project, a month or two ago, could be the OS, not sure, but hopefully they are working on it.
@coddandcodd might want to change your backface colour to “hot pink” so it is very obvious… the default colour is very subtle and lost often in shading
I use a green that I’d never use as a material in my models. Not quite as annoying as magenta or something but still easily seen.
I saved the style as part of my default template and also added it to the Default Styles collection so I can always retrieve it if needed.