Speak or type to SketchUp

This post is to explore interest in a new way of using SketchUp, that could significantly extend the SketchUp installed base with a lot of non-expert users. As an intro, my company North Side
( www.northsideinc.com ) works on the integration of Natural Language Understanding and 3D. SketchUp is the friendliest 3D design tool I’ve come across. It’s supported by a huge model library, which helps a lot. However, for complete neophytes who’d like to share their mental vision, it may still be a bit too complex - it certainly takes learning and experimentation to get going. We’d be interested to use SketchUp technology for rapid (procedural) scene creation where you’d just say what objects you want in the scene, place them next to each other and modify them by speaking or typing. As an alternative to speaking, 2D tagged images could be used to get going. However, this would be just the start: buildings and space are designed to be USED, and this is what we’re really targeting! We’re developing technology (called Say It, See It! ) to explore how a space works for people, how they interact with each other, with equipment, etc - and visualize that as an easy-to-change 3D animation. Our technology enables controlling 3D characters in plain English - you just tell your characters what you want them to do or say and they do it. A prototype of this technology is available in the Bot Colony videogame on Steam, and on our website above at the Say It, See It! product page. You can directly access the (dated!) video from that page through this link
NOW IT CAN BE TOLD: Beginnings of text-to-animation in 2014 - YouTube
We’re currently redoing our text-to-animation technology on top of Unreal, with improved NLU.
Why is this a big deal? With a technology enabling you to create 3D environments, put intelligent, goal-oriented, dialog-capable characters in these environments, and control their goals and performance to some extent, you have the potential to fundamentally redefine the VR experience and make it more immersive. The problem with VR today is that you still need a person to control an avatar directly, and the technology I’ve described above addresses that problem.