Solid Inspector²

Hi,
I have an error message but every time I try to post it it tells me there are too many characters. Can you let me know where to send it please…
Thanks
Sam

try splitting at
Loaded Features:
and add half to 2 replies…

@samyell - that was the older versions that asked you to do this. Please update the extension and see if it happens after the update. If you get an error then you will get a dialog where you just hit Submit.
(But it’d really help me if you saved a copy of the model and sent it to me. But that’s only if it happens with the newest version.)

Ah - thanks thomthom. I’ll reinstall tomorrow and if the error persists I’ll be sure to send you the model and the error msg.
Thanks
sam

seeking solid.skp (257.2 KB)

Hi Thomthom,

Thanks for the awesome extension!  I have a terrain model that I repaired with your tool.  Solid inspector reports that everything is shiny, but Sketchup won't recognize it as a volume.  Any suggestions?  Thanks, Rita

Try exploding the group, then select all and make a group once again and for me at least it produces a volume.

Shep

I don't know why I was having trouble making it work.  I downloaded solid solver and it did the trick.  Thanks for the tip,Shep.   Rita

The reason you are having problems is you are using layers incorrectly.
You have raw geometry on different layers.
All raw geometry needs to be on Layer0, and layer0 should be the active layer 99.8% of the time.
Groups and components can then be assigned a layer purely for visibility purposes.

SketchUp uses a very simplified solid test. Solid Inspector is a bit more detailed - so they won’t always agree.

In the case of this model there was a face which had two overlapping faces. This isn’t really valid in SketchUp. However, when you explode the group SU will find this and merge them - fixing the issue.

And by exploding it you put all the geometry on one layer, hopefully layer0.

Beware! Exploding a Group or ComponentInstance puts the geometry onto the same layer as the Group or CI was on. This is one way that people innocently get primitives off layer0.

1 Like

I think that was what I was trying to point out, obviously not well.

Exploding to fix the problem isn’t actually a solution.

1 Like
Solid Inspector² (2.2.2)

Extension Path: C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins

SketchUp Version: 15.3.331 (64bit)

Ruby Version: 2.0.0
Ruby Platform: x64-mingw32

----------

Error:

#<TypeError: wrong argument type (expected Sketchup::Face)>
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:98:in `reversed_in?'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:98:in `edge_reversed_in?'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:205:in `get_other_face'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:221:in `find_other_shell_face'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:286:in `block (2 levels) in find_shell'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:282:in `each'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:282:in `block in find_shell'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:281:in `each'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:281:in `find_shell'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:41:in `block in resolve'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:74:in `find_geometry_groups'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb:38:in `resolve'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:84:in `block (2 levels) in find_errors'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:258:in `call'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:258:in `time'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:82:in `block in find_errors'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:258:in `call'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:258:in `time'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb:32:in `find_errors'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/inspector_tool.rb:234:in `analyze'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/inspector_tool.rb:386:in `block in create_window'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/window.rb:95:in `call'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/window.rb:95:in `block in trigger_events'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/window.rb:94:in `each'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/window.rb:94:in `trigger_events'
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/window.rb:35:in `block in initialize'
SketchUp:1:in `call'

----------

Loaded Features:

enumerator.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/encdb.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/iso_8859_1.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/trans/transdb.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/rbconfig.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/compatibility.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/defaults.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/deprecate.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/errors.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/version.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/requirement.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/platform.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/specification.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/exceptions.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/defaults/operating_system.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_gem.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/extensions.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/langhandler.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/sketchup.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/translator.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/utils.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/webdialog_extensions.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/importer.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/version.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/debug.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/enum.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/enum_system_color.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/enum_system_font.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/events.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/font.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/json.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/properties.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/control_manager.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/typecheck.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/base.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/rect.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/control.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/button.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/checkbox.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/container.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/groupbox.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/image.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/label.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/listbox.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/radiobutton.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/textbox.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/bridge.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/window.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/SKUI/core.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/exporter.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl/loader.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/sketchup-stl.rb
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_advancedcameratools/advancedcameratools_main.rbs
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools/actloader.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_advancedcameratools.rb
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcobservers.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclass_v1.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcfunctions_v1.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclassifier.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcclass_overlays.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dctools.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcutils.rbs
c:/users/anze/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2015/sketchup/plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcconverter.rbs
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents/ruby/dcloader.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_dynamiccomponents.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_sandbox.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_webtextures/webtextures_loader.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/su_webtextures.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/set.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/gl_helper.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/errors.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/shell.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_finder.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/instance.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/debug_tools.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/json/version.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/ostruct.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/json/generic_object.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/json/common.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/utf_16be.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/utf_16le.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/utf_32be.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/enc/utf_32le.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/json/ext/parser.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/platform_specific/json/ext/generator.so
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/json/ext.rb
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/Tools/RubyStdLib/json.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/window.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/error_window.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/geometry.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/inspector_window.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/key_codes.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/drawing_helper.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/object_utils.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/gl/label.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/gl/cache.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/binary/types.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/binary/file.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/binary/struct.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/image_bmp.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/gl/pixelcache.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/gl/image.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/gl/text.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/legend.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/inspector_tool.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/settings.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2/core.rb
C:/Users/Anze/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/tt_solid_inspector2.rb

You have an old version of Solid Inspector 2 [2.2.2].
It’s now on 2.4.3? I think…
Try installing the newest version and report back if the error persists…

1 Like

This thread floated to the top again and piqued my curiosity. When I looked at this model the other day I deleted the non default layers, moving their contents to layer 0. The group then showed solid with solid inspector but not according to the entity info window. What would be the solution for making this solid?
I would assume selecting all and intersecting would work but I’ve had “mixed” result intersecting less than optimum geometry.
Just wondering

Shep

What an excellent new version.

[http://imgupp.com/img/1433173618.jpg][1]

Hi,

I’m having a hard time finding problematic edges in a complex object. Is there a way to zoom on the errors that I have missed ?

Thanks,

Have you tried the TAB key? It should step through the errors…

Hi there
I’m new here, I’ve just built a model, I’ve had an absolute pig getting Solid Inspector2 to be happy, but it finally is. Tells me its all shiny. I click entity info only to be told it isn’t solid!!!

This model has taken days - admittedly this has included time to learn sketchup.

I’ll try uploading the model here - but I don’t really know what I’m doing. Any help greatfully received.all errors fixed.stl (792.7 KB)

Extra info added below: But solution to the above is most important.

The reason I need the object as a volume is that I want to edit the solid using the solid tools, while this model actually prints correctly I need to make an alteration which requires the solid tools before printing! Argghhhh! I only want to do a simple subtraction. Indeed I can even show almost what I want the final to look like, by showing an edited version (done with the follow me tool instead of the subtract tool - the problem with this model is blatently apparent - I don’t want the 2D bit, and when I try to convert to stl while the image looks good in cura, the layers are terrible. Anyway just in case anyone wants to look at the final part it’s attached here (I guess by preference I’d prefer the first model fixed the real issue seems to be with the first model, but I wouldn’t complain if anyone wanted to fix the second).

The second file - all errors fixed now with curve.stl (819.7 KB)