Solid background to call-out text (and other call-out stuff)

Sometimes the text is really hard to read because it’s placed over something busy - easy to read while typing it, but once you leave the editing, the background is transparent again. (Treating the background to a call-out box as any other texture would be cool)

It would also be nice to be able to move (/re-assign) the pin point of a call-out instead of just being able to move the call-out text. Actually, having snap-to points on the box would be useful too.
Being able to manipulate the “text box” like it’s a surface/shape would be nice: re-shaping it’s boundaries, snapping to other objects, rotating, scaling…
And being able to manipulate the scale/orientation of the content (treating it like an image fill) would allow for proper 3D labeling.

It would be really neat if every call out was a dynamic component that “hid” the text until the marker was clicked on; the text would then show up (if you were being uber cool you could set transition effects for different ways that the text would display) You could even have a tic box for a “half-way” stage that was small - grew on mouse over and restored back to small when clicked on.

It would also be nice to set the orientation of a call-out to be stationary, to always face the user, or to only face the user when clicked on/mouse over/ button hold/whatever.

Don’t know if you can do this already, but it would be handy to use fields in the call out that reference the object clicked on: any information seen in the “entity info” window could be displayed eg by using [name] or [definition] if it’s a component or [area] if it’s a surface.

area is the standard text for the text tool on faces?

yes, but as soon as you add ‘freetype’ text to a dynamic call-out, it breaks the dynamic part. You could use it to display the name of components or put other “entity info” onto the same call-out, or make the call-out have idiot text like "this line is [length] long"
Or (if it was clever enough) use formula to display information:[if [length] < 50 , “too small”, [length] ] or even show imperial measurements when you are working in metric.

I believe you can already do that, Need to be patient though.

I’m not sure that it’s possible: I’ve spent 10 mins trying to move the “arrow” section of the call-out. I can break the dynamic element and move it (by putting it into a group). Once I’ve done that it’s really easy to move the call-out, but the only way to move the leader in relation to the text is by using the scale tool.

• I would like to see any selection or movement of the leader move the “arrow” rather than the “text box”.

• And the ability to set a size for the “arrow” to make for easier selection. (An option to lock size to the object so that zooming in/out will change it - have a global threshold for the minimum size the “arrow” can be.)

• And be able to set the colour of each call-out individually rather than change one and they all change.

It is possible, start with the label tool,move to the leader and slide down towards the arrow whilst the leader is still selected (blue) at the arrow tip, the inference turns pink, click and move.
So the coding to do this is in SU, though not reliable. The SU team should allow a modifier key to reinforce this move.

Don’t use the ‘Move’ tool to do that. You’ll need the ‘Text’ tool itself to reposition arrow tips of leader text.
Also see ‘Entity Info’ > applied color and ‘Change Font…’ to see that each text can have its own color, height (related to model) vs points (related to the screen)

OK - I don’t know what was happening with the colour thing… actually I think I do: stupidity.

Ahhhh - you can only move it with the actual call-out tool - unfortunately the snap point is the same size as any other snap point; you have to be right on the tip of the arrow and has nothing to do with the size of the arrow either.

Also discovered that the call-outs are not dynamic: I thought they were. (Feature request: make it so.) Since this is the case, there is a much easier way to manipulate call-outs - group a call-out then explode it again; the leader can be moved and changed at will, and the text moved with the call-out tool.
{it’s still a work-around rather than it working smoothly}

It would be great if you use the SketchUp tool names instead of your own. Makes reading your posts easier to grasp.

And by dynamic do you mean that the text follow changes made to the geometry?

More or less like how dimension text changes when changing the geometry?

oops - I’ve always called it a “call-out” - perhaps because it’s not really what I would call a “text tool”.

And yes, by “dynamic” I mean actually linked to the property it’s referring to;

• if a ‘text tool’ is attached to a face, then it should be able to find out all the information that the ‘entity info’ window shows when that face is selected; [front surface], [back surface], [layer], [area], [hidden], [cast shadows], [receive shadows].
  • if it’s attached to a line or an edge, then all the information in the ‘entity info’ window would be available; [colour], [layer], [length], [soft], [smooth], [hidden], [cast shadows].
  • groups, components, circles etc

Any time one of these variables changes within the entity, then the variable in the text (eg [area] ) would be updated to reflect the new value.

Another idea to do with the “Text tool” (I still think it’s a rubbish name) -

Proximity detection:
the text and/or leader only are visible when you are close to them. Precise distance for individual ones could be set through the “Entity Info”. A global distance would be set from an option depending on the template.
Option to set another distance for a “fade” - the transparency for the “Text Tool” would be at 0% while the distance from you is less than the closest distance. It would proportionally increase until it is at 100% when at the second distance. (And not be visible at all when further from you than the furthest distance.)