Solar north slide bar

I have just loaded up solar north on 2018 pro. I want to do a shadow study on a pergola model. Is there a way to be more precise, instead of using the slide bar. In other words, can I type in June 23 and than, 4:00 as an example, instead of sliding the bar. I want to show the exact date and time for different scenes.

Thanks.

See the Shadows tray.

The Solar North tool is only meant for setting your model’s orientation when your green axis doesn’t correspond to the actual north at your location.

1 Like

These model settings must all be set correctly to display shadows that accurately portray the real world:

• Geographic Orientation — Relationship of True North to the model.
• Geographic Location — Latitude and Longitude
• Time — Year, Month, Day, Hour, Minute
• UTC Offset — The difference between local time and the Coordinated Universal Time standard.

By default, the solid green +Y Drawing Axis is aligned with true north.

However, be aware of the following:
Manual geo-location retains that alignment.
• Geo-location via SU’s Add Location feature rotates true north away from SU’s World +Y Axis.

The simplest approach would be modeling the pergola on-axes, then manual geo-location and then setting true north in relation to the model via the Solar North tools.

My mistake. I have my model oriented correctly with solar north. When I have shadows turned on, can I type in month, day, and time, instead of the tool bar. I I also have my model set up with Geo-location. Thanks again

Steve

Use the Shadows window. Enter time to the minute and date.
Screenshot - 1_28_2018 , 8_08_48 AM
Which version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile is missing that info.

1 Like

Hi Dave. I have 2018 Pro. Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for. I know I had seen this at one time. Have a great day.

Steve

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.