So this is SketchUp now?

I just never see the point of buying from a local reseller. What possible support can they give you that the entirety of the internet, and the product support people, can’t.

That’s because that is usually a process reserved for a professional workflow. You can always just convert to a raster file (jpeg, png) and work like that.

Just because it’s non-profit doesn’t mean it’s not commercial work. It just means that the organization is not profiting off of the proceeds, but contractors and people are still paid. You’re awesome for donating your time, but alas, this is very much a professional workflow as it’s for actual work that is being paid for by the clients.

No. Converting to raster formats removes all scale.

And more importantly stops the very nifty way you can click on line endpoints to create planes.

A raster image can be scaled correctly once you’ve imported it into SketchUp.

Bottom line though is you’re beating a dead horse. Vector import is not an option in the free versions of SketchUp. It hasn’t been since V7 or 7.1 if I remember correctly. That’s more than 10 years ago. Instead of wasting your time complaining about it, you might as well find a different application that will do what you need and get on with it.

2 Likes

All I can say is that I’ve never used sketchup in any version for paid work.

Nor for any event where the organisers were being paid.

Look, it sucks that people were using SketchUp for professional work in defiance of the license. And really it’s them I’m angry at if they are responsible for Trimble cutting back on the features of the free version.

And if in my search for capable software I can’t find anything that does what I need, for the right price then I may well come back to pay for SketchUp.

I’m just grateful that the 2017 version is still available. Since I’m sure that’s all I’ll need for these kinds of tasks. The newer versions will not have added any features I actually need. At least, I can’t imagine they have. I don’t suppose there’s a change log, feature comparison table for the actual software versions?

Vector import is absolutely available in free versions up to 2015. I’ve used it in those versions. I can’t remember if I’ve tried vector import in 2017.

But yes you’re right. I’m whinging and moaning and it’s not useful.

I shall move on, and do some research. You never know. I may be back. Hopefully in a better frame of mind.

There’s a range of free plugins that work in SU2017 to import DXF (but not DWG), or PDF files. See SketchUcation Plugin Store for examples:

Thank you! Much appreciated

SketchUp Application Release Notes

No only between editions (You’d have to look for “What’s new…” sections in the release notes) …

… and only for some of the features. Ie, import / export file types …

https://help.sketchup.com/en/sketchup/using-sketchup-data-other-modeling-programs-or-tools

2 Likes

These are the available import options for SketchUp 2015 Make. No DXF or DWG.

You would have had access to importing DXF and DWG files during the 30-day SketchUp Pro trial which would run automatically after first installation of SU2015 Make.

3 Likes

Huh. Yeah, I just checked on the versions I have installed and you’re right. I must have been unknowingly using the Pro version at the time, because I definitely imported those vector files.

I fell into that trap obviously.

What trap is that? They made it very clear that Make users get a 30-day trial of SketchUp Pro with access to all of the pro features during that time.

2 Likes

If the non-profit is willing to pay for a license, select the STUDENT option then on the form choose Non-Profit. You will need to supply appropriate paperwork. If successful the cost is $55/year for the SU Studio. I was hoping to do this but the non-profit I work with won’t pay for it.

1 Like

a tech. support by phone in your native language and time zone is regularly welcome, especially without English skills… yep, not everybody is living in the USA.

btw, tech. support people are - at least officially - not reachable by phone but email and forum only, tech. support is - at least officially - limited to installation and product activation issues.

2 Likes

Non local support would never get you sex servings of fush n chupps.

2 Likes

@joker,

even if you buy online…

Suppliers will need to charge GST if the destination of the goods is a delivery address in New Zealand.

it includes ‘downloads’ according to government notices to UK buisnesses…

local suppliers can be more flexible with ‘Student’, ‘Not for Profit’ and ‘Academic’ users than a cooperation based in the US…

give them a call…

john

1 Like