Smoothing Groups Error When Importing OBJ Model Into UE4

Hello everyone. I’ve done a model of a storage crate, textured it in Substance Painter and imported that crate into UE4. When I import it into UE4 I get an error message saying:

No smoothing group information was found in this FBX scene. Please make sure to enable the ‘Export Smoothing Groups’ option in the FBX Exporter plug-in before exporting the file. Even for tools that don’t support smoothing groups, the FBX Exporter will generate appropriate smoothing data at export-time so that correct vertex normals can be inferred while importing

1. So firstly I have no idea why it’s mentioning an FBX file because I’ve imported an OBJ…

2. I can’t see any option for Smoothing Groups when exporting the OBJ from SketchUp. I’ve had to triangulate the faces to keep Substance Painter happy but that shouldn’t affect anything, should it?

3. What’s the FBX Exporter Plug-in? I’ve had a look through the Unreal Engine plug-ins and can’t see it anywhere, and why on earth would I be using an Export plug-in in UE4? I’m importing a model, not exporting it. So is it talking about Sketch-Up?

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance for any help! :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.